• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best psu brands?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I know antec and sparkle are good names, anyone have some other suggestions?.. my powmax's are crap..12v, 5v lines are wayyy off....

obsolete

PC Power & Cooling is what you are going to hear for the "best". Kind of an under dog but ThermalTake makes great PSU's as well.

Also did you check your rails with a multimeter before labeling it crap?

Mr.Radar

PC Power & Cooling = Best
Fortron or Sparkle (both are the same) = Great
Antec = Better
OCZ PowerStream = Pretty Good (IMHO they look like some of the best PSUs on the market today, perhaps even better than Antec however nobody here has experience with them)
Enermax = Good
Most other brand names: Decent
Deer, Allied, Q-Tec, PowMax = Crap

OP
Y

yo4444

Thanks guys..
Now a new one....
Best for the money..steady voltage on rails that count and decent life..ohh..and not too hot...
Im not a good oc'er yet, and I just need something to be solid with my 2400+ and 1700+.. (need to unlock my 2400 multiplier also..)
And Im trying to get into this a little at a time. Both cpus on asus a7n8x's. dont have the 1700 built just yet.

buddhafumes

Go ThermalTake! Yeah. I think they make pretty nice psu's and are great for the money. Enermax good ones to. Pc Power & cooling makes good ones but thermaltakes are less of a hit on the wallet.

Buhammot

Stay away from Axio. The local reseller here says they had to replace about 50% of the ones they sold. Unfortunately thats what I have until my Antec 420w Truepower comes in. Not to mention my 12v rail is quite low.

Section8

Mr.Radar said:
PC Power & Cooling = Best
Fortron or Sparkle (both are the same) = Great
Antec = Better
OCZ PowerStream = Pretty Good (IMHO they look like some of the best PSUs on the market today, perhaps even better than Antec however nobody here has experience with them)
Enermax = Good
Most other brand names: Decent
Deer, Allied, Q-Tec, PowMax = Crap

What he said<------- I would love to try one of those OCZ as soon as they come out they do look great.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
My suggestions would be, aside from the usual Antec 430w+ and Fortron 350w+ for a modest overclocking system suggestions:

Topower made units above 420w like Tagan, Aeropower, A+GBP, Globalwin, and OCZ; Enermax Noisetaker/Coolergiant above 420w; Zippy above 400w if you can afford them; PC P&C 510w unit (below that, Fortron is cheaper and virtually as good); Seasonic above 400w; and Channel Well above 430w.

Last edited:

Logans.mother

Registered
yes i need help also i need more options because newegg has alot more than just forton and antec. is dynapower any good? apex,CODEGEN,PCMCIS,MGE,ASIAPRO?

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Logans.mother said:
yes i need help also i need more options because newegg has alot more than just forton and antec. is dynapower any good? apex,CODEGEN,PCMCIS,MGE,ASIAPRO?

Just posted an answer in your thread ;)

Mr.Guvernment

Any thoughts on power requirements for this system

P4 2.6C (plan to O/C
x800PRO - possible volt mod
2 x 250 SerialATA drives
eventually 12x plextor SerialATA dvd burner when they are out
1g pc4000 (eventually 2g)
@ least 2 x 120mm and 4 x 80mm fans...

:D

GoodKarma

Registered
Logans.mother said:

It sounds like you need fewer options, not more options. Let's keep this simple:
-- If you want high quality with high value, get a Fortron / Sparkle
-- If you want high quality with a brand name, get an Antec
-- If you want the highest quality and are willing to pay for it, get a PC Power & Cooling

Are other brands good? Some yes, some no....but this really covers the range you really need.