• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Pump & Res Combo in a 5" bay, for 2 rad loop? (pluss other help needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eTanium

Registered
Best Pump & Res Combo in a 5" bay, for 2 rad loop? (pluss other help needed)

Hello all!

There are some questions in here that are specific to water cooling, but also other hardware/software, so I hope that this is the correct place to post this topic?

I’ve been wanting to build a water cooled PC for many years now, but I haven’t had the knowledge to do so. Over the last month or so, I’ve watched/read a bunch of stuff in regards to the subject, and I have decided on a few things. First I picked my case, processor, and motherboard (which I will discuss later – input welcomed). Then I wanted to see what type of cooling options I had. I searched YouTube for those who had the same case that I want, and what they could fit in it. At that point, I came across one of TimeToLiveCustoms’ videos (Cooler Master CM690 Review) that I hadn’t seen earlier, and it made things so much easier!

Still, even with all of these informative videos, I’m still a little lost as to what parts I’ll need. I was hoping that someone could take pity on me and give this thread (getting longer by the second) a once over.

Question 1: What type of pump will I’ll need for my loop (CPU and GPU cooling)?

I researched the Alpha Cool ceramic pumps (mentioned in the video), but people didn’t seem to like them very much due to them being loud and temperamental. I’m tight on room in this case, so a good single or double 5” bay reservoir and pump combo will be needed.

I’ve found a full XSPC Raystorm RX240 Extreme kit on FrozenPC, which has the Swiftech MCP655-B 12v (1500l/h) Water Pump, but could it handle my loop? I’m looking for a cool and quiet PC, so it would be important for the pump to be as quiet as possible.

Would it be cheaper to buy all the parts separately? I see that the XSPC kit comes with compression fittings which are more expensive. I would go with some better looking barbs and be just as happy.

Question 2: Fittings leaking?

I see that the fittings have some rubber o-rings, but are they enough to stop leaks? Would some Teflon tape help/hurt with leaks? I could see how it could become a problem if pieces of Teflon were to get into the rad and clog it up, no?

Question 3: Make sure everything posts pre-water cooling, or go right for it?

I have read about how some of the components I’m looking to buy (motherboard/cpu/ram) have failed for several users multiple times in a row. I’m looking for something that is going to go together without any problems. I would hate to get all my water fittings and things in place, and boot for the first time, just to realize that I have a dead component somewhere. I guess I have already made my decision on that one, but I still wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about it.

Question 4: Different types of OS installations?

I’m looking to run Windows 7. Is there a way that I can have the OS, and all the updated motherboard/video card drivers already setup on a USB thumb stick, and have them all install at once? It’s been a few years since my last build, and things have changed. I always installed windows onto the hard drive, and then loaded the mobo/video drives on after (downloading them from their respected websites).

Well, this post is getting a bit longer than I had planned (and a bit off topic from water cooling - sorry), but this is a lot to take in at the moment. I will stop asking questions and end with listting out the components I’m looking to use/water cool.

Thanks for taking a interest in my build!!!
-Ethan

CASE:
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

MOBO:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM

VIDEO: ???? – I haven’t looked into that. Suggestions are welcome. Looking for a strong single card (no sli/crossfire), that can be water blocked, and around $500.

POWER SUPPLY:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

I have no answers for you on the water cooling, but as far as the OS, what you are asking is technically possible, but not worth it unless you plan to deploy this OS configuration on many different PC's. You'll just have to bite the bullet and do a regular install.

Also, if you have access to a e-mail address ending in .EDU then you can get windows 7 professional for $60 through microsoft student discount. .You will have to download the .ISO image and burn it to disk, but it works good. The student discount version is just like the OEM version and can be installed on a completely new machine.

I have no answers for you on the water cooling, but as far as the OS, what you are asking is technically possible, but not worth it unless you plan to deploy this OS configuration on many different PC's. You'll just have to bite the bullet and do a regular install.

Also, if you have access to a e-mail address ending in .EDU then you can get windows 7 professional for $60 through microsoft student discount. .You will have to download the .ISO image and burn it to disk, but it works good. The student discount version is just like the OEM version and can be installed on a completely new machine.

Hmm... that is something to think about. What is the cost normally - $120 or something? I have a few friends in school still. I could use their address, but then wouldn't the registration be in their name?

Under this student discount, can I still get the 64bit version?

Thanks for the reply.

Back