• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best PWM radiator fan 20mm thick or less and where to get screws to mount?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SalemSaberhagen

I need two 120mm fans to complete my build, they need be at or less than 20mm thick.

They will be front intakes pushing air through a slim Alphacool radiator.

Volume of air and quite firstly but secondly fit a red/orange theme. (clear or black is fine)

Then, also, I would prefer to purchase the correct length and taper screws to not pierce my radiator mounting said fan.

The Alphacool radiators came with very nice 30 and 35mm screws that had the threads that stop shy of even possibly puncturing anything.

Something like that would be key! But obviously in a length matching my newly purchased fans, everything I have is made for 30 or 35mm or no fan.

potatoscrews.jpg

As always. please forgive the quality of my potato.

Last edited:
Not to worry. The tapped holes in the radiator bottom out at a pre-determined depth. The mounting screws are soft steel and can't punch through the bottom of the threaded mounting hole. You'd need some hardened screws with piercing points to accomplish that. Besides, they don't position the mounting screw holes over any of the radiator's potentially leaky bits.

You can find the mounting screws you need at any decent hardware store. They may be zinc plated (shiney), not a preferred color. But you can use a colored marker to get the desired color easily enough. And they're cheaper if you get them from a local hardware store as well. You'll find that all the fastening hardware is commercially available and not some mystery product stored behind the unobtanium.

Not to worry. The tapped holes in the radiator bottom out at a pre-determined depth. The mounting screws are soft steel and can't punch through the bottom of the threaded mounting hole. You'd need some hardened screws with piercing points to accomplish that. Besides, they don't position the mounting screw holes over any of the radiator's potentially leaky bits.

You can find the mounting screws you need at any decent hardware store. They may be zinc plated (shiney), not a preferred color. But you can use a colored marker to get the desired color easily enough. And they're cheaper if you get them from a local hardware store as well. You'll find that all the fastening hardware is commercially available and not some mystery product stored behind the unobtanium.

On the Alphacool radiators the screws bottom out, not the holes.

The threading only goes a few mm up the screw.

I guess it would be easiest to just buy any screw to length?

To elaborate, I'm fighting with a limited space.

potatoscrewspaintstyle.jpg

I would like to get my grill and filters back up the front here.

smwr23fail.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused... a typical fan depth is 25mm...that doesn't work? I think the next size down are 13mm, but they aren't good at all in front of a rad (lack of static pressure).

I'm confused... a typical fan depth is 25mm...that doesn't work? I think the next size down are 13mm, but they aren't good at all in front of a rad (lack of static pressure).

Yes, it's not fitting a typical fan, it's either fans in front or a passive radiator (under 30mm thick) mounted BEHIND the steel of the case NOT BETWEEN the case bezel and case steel.

I had to damaged the bezel just to get it on as shown previously without the grill or filter (had to snap off a filter tab)

I'm seeing some 15mm and 20mm fans about

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...scription=thin+120mm+case+fan&N=-1&isNodeId=1

And I was off by 5mm, I was thinking they were normally 30mm, you are right, all of mine are 25 now so I need twenty or lower, will adjust OP, TY.

Edit: Also some double sticky tape and self denial of how bad it looks have cured things for now...

potatostickie.jpg

Last edited:
Back