• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best QUIET hs/f for AMD XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag22

Registered
I've read a bunch of HSF reviews with sometimes 30 or more different units, and I still don't know which one to buy. I'd like to find something quiet, easy to install (as in won't freak me out crunching onto my new CPU) and less than $40 U.S. My barebones is shipping with a Volcano 6cu, which doesn't appear to be much of a O/C unit. My goal is to reach 1.7 Ghz with XP 1800+ on Epox 8KHA+ and 256MB DDR333/PC2700 Samsung. I could read 20 reviews and find 20 different "editor's choice" winners, but I'd rather ask the real pros here at O/C forum. Thanks for any input :)

tlemaste

Registered
I personally would suggest the Millinium GlaciatorII, it works great for me. I've got a 1.4 at 1.586 with no earplugs required. Of course, I could probably kool with a Mac truck and the only person disturbed would be my wife.:burn:

OP
M

Mag22

Registered
Thanks for the quick response... I'll go take a closer look at the suggestions people make and hopefully make a good decision!!

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I would get the new Thermalright AX-7, $28 and a Delta 45CFM Fan or a 50CFM Sunon. This will be fairly quite and will cool very well

Vash

Registered
I would've said an Alpha PAL8045 with a 37CFM 80mm fan...nothing quieter suggest so far...but with the news that motherboard mounted heatsinks are going extinct, thank-you-very-much FORMER O/C friendly AMD, I'm gonna have to recommend a different heatsink. Hmm I've heard that the Thermalright AX7 is good, just noisy....well equip it with a 40ish cfm fan and you'll be alright.

I swear, first the INCREDIBLY hard to unlock AthlonXP/MPs and now this...I swear if Intel offers me a celeron300a equivalent later this year i am switching sides...

OP
M

Mag22

Registered
I took a look at the Glaciator II and it looks very impressive for the cash. It also looks like a paperweight suitable for F-5 tornado testing. I can't imagine clipping 1+ Lbs of copper on my oh-so-fragile looking CPU!! Maybe if it came with a braided steel cable to attach to the top of my tower... It looks like a tough find to get all the variables right: Reasonable weight, Low noise, Solid performance, Ease of installation, and $40 or less. Maybe I need to do some ceramics research and make my own :D

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
i love my Glaciator II adn the Glaciator I's are just as good.
this thing performs as well as a SK6 with a big LOUD DELTA

you can get it here for 30$ or get the original, same performance,
just heavier for 17.50

the glaciaotr II comers with a packet of ASII which is great.

shop here buying directly from the maker :p

http://65.108.114.210/cgi-bin/cart.pl

tlemaste

Registered
Probably everyone who has used the Glaciator hs's has had some second thoughts because of the weight of the heatsink. I saw some posts on another forum about the weight being well within the specs for use. I would just suggest installing it on the processor before installing the mobo in the case. Or if upgrading to this, lay the case on it's side to hook the clip. Now the only thing I am concerned about is if I have to move it out of the room. I have moved my case within my computer room without dis-lodging it, but I would definitely remove it for any longer move. I have been very pleased with my temps.:beer: