• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best registered and non reg DDR for MSI K7d?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I looked at MSI's list and I wonder why the likes of Samsung is missing.

What are you Msi K7d users having success with?

I'd like to get a 512 PC2400 stick to start.

It'd be nice if it's ecc registered.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I have used Samsung Registered ECC PC2700 on a couple MSI K7D setups. It works GREAT! Does 150 FSB with absolute ease and is less expensive than Crucial Reg ECC PC2100??? Because I have two sticks in my home machine, I use timings of 16-16-6-2-2-2-3. One at a time will run 16-16-6-2-2-2-2. All at 150 FSB.

I've also got a stick of regular Samsung PC2700, non-Registered, non-ECC. It will do 150 FSB, too, although I haven't used it long enough to determine maximum stability. It will run at 150, w/ timings of 16-16-6-2-2-2-2.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
It's supposed to be good for up to 4 registered sticks.

Anything past PC2400 is moot for an fsb limit of 150, but it wouldn't hurt anything except my wallet either.

Where's a good place to get some as newegg doesn't seem to have much ECC PC2700 512 sticks I recognize.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
check Pricewatch for Samsung Registered ECC PC2700. You will get several hits. I got mine from MarkOneComputers, but there are a couple places cheaper than them, now. Check out everyone's ratings at www.resellerratings.com, and buy from whoever has a good rep.

BTW, they don't make Registered ECC PC2400.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I've got 3 sticks of Crucial PC2100 ECC registed running just fine at 150MHz. Only problem is that my Asus supports VDIMM up to 2.7V, so I don't know how lucky you would be on an MSI. It did run at default voltage at that frequency though...I just upped it because I could. :)

Jon

Fastest timings the board allows. 2-2-2 and whatever other goodies it had although I know it wasn't many.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Hmmm, that's pretty good. Most people I've heard from have said that they have not been able to run Crucial at 150 FSB. Guess it depends on you motherboard and you luck of the draw.

Jon

Both boards will actually do 160MHz but I have heat problems there. One uses 2 X 256MB unbuffered Crucial and the other 3 X 256MB of the ECC registered.

It's worked quite well for me. Every system I own, except one, uses Crucial memory.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Looks like ECC PC2700 512 will do the job and allow me to upgrade to 2gigs later using the first stick.

Thanx,