• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Sound card for a budget type person?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would definitely recommend the TBSC over the SBlive, but at newegg, the SBlive 5.1 OEM is only $33. Snowdude looks to be saving money.

best card on a budget would be an audigy. just straight audigy. they can be had for $60 and sound better than any of the live's. next step up for the price would be TBSC than the m-audio revolution or a fireball. than an audigy2 as i've seen for 109. than a m-audio audiophile that puts us at 130.

i got the SB 5.1. It's decently priced, sure the performance probably isnt anywhere near say an audigy 2, but i noticed a huge difference compared to my onboard sound. If you only have about 30 bucks to spend, i would say get it, i had no driver problems or anything

emericanchaos said:
best card on a budget would be an audigy. just straight audigy. they can be had for $60 and sound better than any of the live's. next step up for the price would be TBSC than the m-audio revolution or a fireball. than an audigy2 as i've seen for 109. than a m-audio audiophile that puts us at 130.

you can get TBSC for 40 bucks at circuit city and Ive heard other offers online for 50.

I've never had a problem with any of my Creative soundcards. I don't even think I've ever had a problem with any of my Creative stuff now that I think about it. But, I do know that other people have had problems. So I just may have gotten lucky. If in doubt, my vote is to err on the safe side and get the TBSC.

Wow.. I've fallen behind.. I have a soundblaster Live! value that I got back in '99... It still makes sound, I'm using the drivers that came with win2k and it works great. I've always been one that as long as I can hear it, it works fine with me.

Is there really a difference in sound cards? I could never justify paying 100$-200$ or more for "quality" speakers, so I guess I'd never notice. 30$ speakers from computer show is what I use...

yes there are such things as superior sound cards. alot of times you get used to lower quality cards so you won't really notice the difference. even with shoddy speakers you'll notice a difference. it may even persuade you to buy better speakers.

if you like music, 3d sound in games or watch movies on your PC than it's definetly worth it. if you don't really game or watch movies than i wouldn't worry about switching.

like i've said a thousand times, what works well on paper is all good for the paper. what sounds good to your ears is your own opinion. you may end up buying a better card and think it wasn't worth it. in my case i'm an audiophile. if something sounds bad, like my mom's computer, i get really aggrivated about it and end up walking away from the computer.

i'm the same way as emericanchaos. If something sounds bad, it drives me nuts. At the same time, when something sounds really really good, I get a chill up my back sometimes. It's kinda weird. Anyways, I'd try at least a somewhat upgraded card. I had an SB Live! for the longest time. When I hooked it up to my home theater system, I realized just how truly bad it really sounds.

emericanchaos is right. If audio is not your deal then its probably not worth upgrading that part of your system. If you cant hear the difference whats the point of upgrading.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned any of the Philips cards. I have a Sonic Edge 5.1 with the logitech Z-640 speakers and the sound is awesome with this card.

I've heard good things about the Philips cards sound quality. They are supposedly one of the best sounding sound cards you can get.

Back