• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Thermal paste for Core i7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
What's the best paste for this beast? i've heard TX3 works well, but is REALLY hard to apply. AS5 seems kinda old, so i would think there are better things...

any ideas? I just want to make sure that this is the LAST time that i pull the heat sink off of this thing to reapply paste.

doz

I just picked up like 10 small tubes of Shin-Etsu, supposedly the 2nd best stuff, just behind that stuff (I cannot remember for the life of me) that is 1 application only. And its not behind by much.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
What's the best paste for this beast? i've heard TX3 works well, but is REALLY hard to apply. AS5 seems kinda old, so i would think there are better things...

any ideas? I just want to make sure that this is the LAST time that i pull the heat sink off of this thing to reapply paste.

MX-3, and it's only hard to apply if you try and spread it first. If you're just using a dab or a line, it's as easy as MX-2.
Cleaning it off the IHS on the other hand is a PITA, as it balls up tends to fall into and around the socket area.

That being said, I have not once seen better temperatures out of MX-3 when compared with MX-2 on the same heatsink on my machine. In fact I fail to see how MX-3 is better than MX-2 in any way whatsoever.

MX-2 is the best I've used, not just in terms of thermal performance, but also in price, availability, application and cleaning as well. I'd recommend it to anyone with an i7.

Daddyjaxx

I am also so not impressed with MX-3, that even though I have some now, I picked up some IC-7 yesterday to give it a try. If MC had MX-2 in stock, I would have grabbed it instead.