• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best Video Card for my system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Get some GF4 MX series wait till the ti4200 and the prices will go down, MX series perfom as well as radeon 7500, the ati always have driver issues with their cards. Good luck!:)

Yes but as for now I have no video card and my motherboard should be here on monday. I only have the processor (P4 2.0A) and I really need to retire my old celeron :). It was very helpfull, but now it is time to move on.

thanks

video cards

Ati 7500 or Geforce 2 Ti
For Ati, buy retail.
For the Geforce, go with Gainward or Leadtek.
Either might be a bit more than $100.

I was also looking at the ATi Radeon 7000 retail (64 MB DDR).

Would GeForce2 Ti/450 64MB DDR be a better choice?
What about GeForce4 MX440 64MB DDR ?
All of them are priced more or less the same (approximately $100)

Thanks

cards

The Geforces are very close performance-wise, and the GF4MX 440 doesn't really have any more features than the GF2Ti/450. The Radeon 7000 is a big step down the performance ladder, while a 7500 is roughly equivalent, but with better features and image quality.

the Radeon7500 is the best chocie you can find it for about 70$ on pricewatch...and the driver issues have been fixed i havent heard of many people having problems with the newest drivers...at least not more than i have heard having problems with Nvidia's drivers.....

funnyperson,

you're probably not talking about retail Radeon 7500, because Fry's has those for $150 + $12 tax. They also have the 7200 made by FIC I believe for $90, with TV-out and DVI (same as 7500).

So the conclusion is that a Geforce 2 TI/450 is better than an ATI Radeon 7500.

cybercla said:
funnyperson,

you're probably not talking about retail Radeon 7500, because Fry's has those for $150 + $12 tax. They also have the 7200 made by FIC I believe for $90, with TV-out and DVI (same as 7500).

So the conclusion is that a Geforce 2 TI/450 is better than an ATI Radeon 7500.

i am talking about online at www.pricewatch.com.....at that site i have found that the 7500 is about 5-10$ cheaper than the Geforce2Ti500...it is also faster and has better image quality so my conclusion is that the 7500 is the better deal...i have found that retail stores cannot be trusted and unless you buy stuff on thanksgiving youre probably being ripped off....

If you are trying to get a card now beings your mobo will be here in a couple of days, a geforce2 mx400 could be had at almost any retail store (best buy) for around 70 dollars. It would get you by till you can shop around for a better one when you get more cash. The mx 400 will do you just fine, and is not far behind the Geforce 4 mx 4200 or 4400. Those Geforce 4 MX series cards are a waiste of money.

thanks for the replys, I have one more question though:

which one will overclock better? (ATI 7500 OEM - not retail or the Gainward Geforce 2 TI/450)

Or is it like the cpu's? some will overclock less than other?

thanks

cybercla said:
thanks for the replys, I have one more question though:

which one will overclock better? (ATI 7500 OEM - not retail or the Gainward Geforce 2 TI/450)

Or is it like the cpu's? some will overclock less than other?

thanks

both are excellent overclockers, but with the 7500 you would try to make sure it comes with the same ram as retail.....

8500 vs GF2Ti

funnyperson1 said:

i am talking about online at www.pricewatch.com.....at that site i have found that the 7500 is about 5-10$ cheaper than the Geforce2Ti500...it is also faster and has better image quality so my conclusion is that the 7500 is the better deal...i have found that retail stores cannot be trusted and unless you buy stuff on thanksgiving youre probably being ripped off....

We're always on opposite ends of this debate.... guess i'm defending my own purchase. The fps performance edge is negligible... like drivers and the quality of the card's manufacturer could tip the scales either way. I guess what I try to say is that my particular GF2 Ti beats out Ati 7500's in fps. 7500 has better features like dvi, some DX8 stuff, and better image quality- s it is a better card.

If you do professional graphic programs, the Geforce 2 is better because it can be converted into a $600+ Quadro 2 Pro card.

Re: 8500 vs GF2Ti

Arkaine23 said:

We're always on opposite ends of this debate.... guess i'm defending my own purchase. The fps performance edge is negligible... like drivers and the quality of the card's manufacturer could tip the scales either way. I guess what I try to say is that my particular GF2 Ti beats out Ati 7500's in fps. 7500 has better features like dvi, some DX8 stuff, and better image quality- s it is a better card.

If you do professional graphic programs, the Geforce 2 is better because it can be converted into a $600+ Quadro 2 Pro card.

true, but i dont think that your extensive overclock is typical of a geforce2 Ti....i doubt that most people will even get too far past 470 unless they have the gainward....

Find a deal on a used GF2 Ultra, 99% of all games don't use most of the features of the GF4 and your actual FPS will be higher with a GF2 Ultra and in time, the GF4's will drop in price and games will actually start to use the features of the card, my .02.

Jim

and how would I make sure that my OEM Ati Radeon comes with the same ram as the retail one? What kind of ram does it use?

thanks

I found a Geforce 2 Ti 450 (64 DDR) on googlegear and I would probably go for it. From what you guys told me it seems to be a good deal. And the price is about $95.

wait for the Chaintech Geforce4 Ti 4200, should be a little over 100.00$ :D

Until then... use a crusted over TNT2 card that u can pick up from an old busted computer at your local swap meet :D

Back