• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to remove Epoxy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WerewolfX

Registered
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to remove a thermal epoxied heat sink from a Geforce 4.

I am getting a Prometia and would like to remove the video card heat sink and use the water cooler in the case to cool the northbridge and the video card.

Thanks

XprincoX

bargain hunter
Well basically the freezer trick is the easiest way. Just put the vid card in a paper bag and put it in the freezer for about 15-30mins. Then take a credit card and the hs should pop right off. Just don't let ur mom or someone throw the bag away thinkin its some freezer burn or something... :D

O and after removing the hs let the vid card defrost a lil and let the condensation evaporate before attempting to use it, first hand baaad experience.. :burn:

OP
W

WerewolfX

Registered
Lol thanks that is a pretty interesting idea I was thinking along the lines of cutting and sanding but I will try your idea first :p

thestramel

The freezer trick works well but I actually removed the hsf off of my 8500LE after using it in my system for a while. I turned the system off, pulled the card out and removed the hsf while the card was still warm.

spazzkid

i agree with both guys. its either u heat up ur vidcard to soften the epoxy or freeze it to make the glue brittle. :D

OP
W

WerewolfX

Registered
Looks like freezing may be my best shot. It has been hanging around on the vid card for six months solid now. I just hope that sucker comes off without too much hassle when the time comes.

Would kinda suck to have a watercooling system in my case only cooling my northbridge :)