• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

better laptop HDDs... where to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is_907

My sister just gave me her K6-2 450mhz laptop; it's HDD has a ton of bad sectors and is only 4.3gb so I'd like to replace it.

I need to know a good site to buy a 5,400rpm lappy HDD from. preferably 15 or 20gb and if at all possible with an 8mb cache (NewEgg.com had one for a while but now the only 8mb 5400rpm lappy hdd they have is a 40gb, out of my price range)

at the most i'll spend $85 (before shipping).

thanks,
~Is

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
That's probably the best deal you'll find. The smaller drives are normally both 4200RPM and 2MB buffer drives. The DK23-40EB Hitachi should be in the same price range, but both are normally higher. The Fujitsu MHS is a bit slower on benchmarks as well. Finally, the drive that should blow it away, 4019GAX Toshiba 16MB buffer, suffers from badly optimized firmware and benches badly by comparison.

OP
Is_907

Is_907

ahh, thanks! as soon as I have the cash i'll order that one at googlegear! (i have around $60 now but have a big road trip coming up)