• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware NexGenComputers aka NexGenProducts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

So, a while back I encountered a company known as NexGenComputers/NexGenProducts/NexGenComputerServices/nexgencomputers.com/nexgencomputerservices.com. They had purchased a graphics card from me (via ebay) which had a 14 day return window, then 18-19 days after receiving it this company (or an employee of the company) submitted a return request. So, I send a couple of PM's to ask what was wrong, what the problem seemed to be, and when they started experiencing a problem (at least looking to see if any general troubleshooting had been done). After two days I had received no responses of any kind. So, with no information to go on other than a cryptic message in the return request to the effect of "doesn't work," I decide to approve the return assuming that either they had made some mistake during testing or it had been damaged in shipping (and just because I don't want a buyer to be upset).

A few days later I receive a box in the mail from this company. I looked it over, it was in the original graphics card box I shipped it in so it looked okay at first. The serial number on the box matched the one on the card. But, here's where the problems begin. I take the card out of the box and notice that the serial number sticker is ripped nearly in half (wasn't like that when I shipped it) and has clearly been tampered with (half of the sticker wasn't even affixed to the card) as well as a second sticker that has clearly been tampered with (wasn't in the same position as it was in on the card I sold). Then notice that a third sticker is in a different position than it was in when I packed up the original card to ship, and the number on this sticker doesn't match the original. The plastic shroud over the fan and heat sink is pretty scuffed up (whereas the one I shipped was pristine with no scratches or scuffs). Then I decide to take apart the card to look for further identifying marks, the screws on the card are still held in place by the original loctite from the factory (and are torqued down so tight it could have only been done by a machine, and likely at the factory). I had taken apart my card to clean it and apply new thermal paste before listing it; therefore, this couldn't possibly be my card. This card was pretty filthy when I got it apart, clearly hadn't been cleaned probably ever, whereas I had cleaned mine thoroughly before listing it for sale.

The list goes on, managed to get it to boot up to the OS and look up the card's ASIC value in GPU-Z (even with it artifacting and randomly glitching out). My card had a 77.9% quality, the card I received had 72.5% quality though. ASIC quality doesn't change over time that I know of, so this is seemingly a real smoking gun.

After all this I call them probably 12-15 times over multiple days, and left voice messages to attempt to explain that they had sent back the wrong card. Only managed to get one of their employees to answer the phone once, who seemed clueless and claimed whoever dealt with the ebay side of their business wasn't in that day and would be in the next day (they weren't there the next day either, or the day following that). This person insists I send an email to their support email, so I sent a few of those. Over a week later, no responses to my PM's, emails, or phone calls with voicemail messages.

It seems this company is scamming sellers on ebay (and possibly elsewhere) by sending back similar(ish) hardware after swapping stickers from one item to another. Probably scamming their customers too, it wouldn't surprise me based upon what I've seen from them thus far. Funnily enough they only cut off all contact after I shipped the item out to them originally, as I had gotten one or two PM's from them before shipping it out.

This seems to be a real fly by night company, their website had multiple links that went to nowhere last time I checked and images that didn't work plus the fact that they almost never answer their phone lines. I suspect they're losing money, and are making it up by scamming providers of the items they buy just to get by. It's also odd that they seem to go by multiple different names, depending upon who you ask or where you look.

Ebay was no help, claimed that if I received any shipment from the buyer I was required to send a refund unless I could get the buyer to admit they still had the item I had sold them (regardless of the fact I had proof that the item I received wasn't the correct one). Then another time said I could dispute the request on the grounds that what I received did not match the original item. This story seemed to change depending upon who I was speaking to and/or what day of the week and time of day I called. Kept getting conflicting information from different CS representatives.

Since they seem intent on not offering to resolve or even discuss the situation, I figure I may as well warn others so as not to have others be victims of this company.

Last edited:
At least I know now that I'm not the only one.
Same company, similar circumstances. They bought a board from me and returned it outside the window. It wasn't the same board that I sold.
E-bay was no help. I ate the board and costs.
Sellers on ebay have no protection what so ever. I rarely sell there any more.

Small claims court is your only option, some states will allow you to claim double. In some states you will also be able to do it by phone. Option worth exploring, if you have the time. If they are doing this systematically, and you can find others with evidence, you may be able to convince a prosecutor to press charges.

More like reasons never to accept returns on ebay.
Paypal has, and always will be out to get the seller.
I DON'T accept returns.
They will just grab funds and refund for you.....without permission, whether or not you have it in your account. Then they send a collection agency after you. It's bullsh1t.

Sorry to hear, been scammed a few times too many, and with ebay and paypal betraying the seller, I no longer use either for online selling.

The OP's story reminds me of an aquarium pet shop that opened up in Toronto a few years ago. Word got out that it was a crappy pet shop and the place was totally dead for months. No customers. Suddenly one day they put out an online press release that someobdy had put bleach in all their tanks and all their fish were dead, and that they were contacting their insurance company and shutting down forever.

Everybody started commenting "You're an aquarium shop, you have hundreds of liters of dechlorinator don't you? So what's the problem?" And the pet shop guy was like "uuuuhhhh"

Long story short, they were charged with fraud.

Funny side note- the guys running the store also ran a strip club known for being extra sleezy and skanky. Great guys.

Oh and the aquarium peeps on this forum will find this funny- their central system had a giant wet/dry filter which consisted of a lot of ping pong balls, wrapped in a vynil shower curtain, wrapped in duct tape. I'm not joking.

The OP's story reminds me of an aquarium pet shop that opened up in Toronto a few years ago. Word got out that it was a crappy pet shop and the place was totally dead for months. No customers. Suddenly one day they put out an online press release that someobdy had put bleach in all their tanks and all their fish were dead, and that they were contacting their insurance company and shutting down forever.

Everybody started commenting "You're an aquarium shop, you have hundreds of liters of dechlorinator don't you? So what's the problem?" And the pet shop guy was like "uuuuhhhh"

Long story short, they were charged with fraud.

Funny side note- the guys running the store also ran a strip club known for being extra sleezy and skanky. Great guys.

Oh and the aquarium peeps on this forum will find this funny- their central system had a giant wet/dry filter which consisted of a lot of ping pong balls, wrapped in a vynil shower curtain, wrapped in duct tape. I'm not joking.

Poor fish..

I DON'T accept returns.
They will just grab funds and refund for you.....without permission, whether or not you have it in your account. Then they send a collection agency after you. It's bullsh1t.

Yeah I've dealt with the collection agency a few times.
Pain in the *** til found out it was a scam, and they re-released the funds back to me.... over a year later!

Buyer/Seller either can get screwed on e-bay. Easier for the sellers to get nailed but the buyers can get slapped as well.

Back