• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF1 ram usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

Lets start this off with WOW .

I really thought the 16 gig recommendation was bull , maybe i just dont see it with the other games I play. I was shocked.

I had problems with the ram in my sig one stick kicked the bucket. I have been using just 1 4gig stick for the past few months because i didn't want the down time.
Today i desided if im going to get a new gfx card (have been shoping) i should at least have 8 gigs but my local store only had 16 gig kits so i picked one up .

When i was running the 4 gig kit my ram usage was always 100% . Instantly after replacing with the new ram I saw more ram usage at the same gfx settings at medium i was using 6 gigs . so i desided to try higher settings to check ram usage .
High 7gigs
Ultra 8.2
And this is with only a 2 gig 950gtx I would guess more with a better card .

Its not anything groundbreaking but it still shocked me

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'd expect it to use the same or less ram when using a card with more vram. Instead of swapping out to ram, the gpu holds more data in its ram instead.

Would be interesting to test and see...

wingman99

7.3 was the most I have seen on this map with only one stick in

Thanks, that is interesting that the game only used 7.3GB instead of 8GB. Did you notice any decrease in performance going from Ultra 8.2GB usage to Ultra 7.3GB usage?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd expect it to use the same or less ram when using a card with more vram. Instead of swapping out to ram, the gpu holds more data in its ram instead.

Would be interesting to test and see...

The GPU holds map textures and frame render not the game map like system memory.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Yep. My statement still stands though. ;)

Where do you think those textures that can't fit into vram are for quick access? If a game would use 4gb on a 6gb card, where is the 2gb on a 2gb card? It stores it in the ram for quickest access. Why do you see stuttering in game...because its swapping data from ram to vram with system ram being much slower. :)

[email protected]

Where do you think those textures that can't fit into vram are for quick access? If a game would use 4gb on a 6gb card, where is the 2gb on a 2gb card? It stores it in the ram for quickest access. Why do you see stuttering in game...because its swapping data from ram to vram with system ram being much slower. :)

Not if your GPU is GDDR3 ;)

wingman99

Yes folks can have hitching with not enough vram, however the vram needed is a lot less then system memory for a game. Hitching is caused by the transfer of textures from system memory to vram using the CPU and bus. Also well done game engine coding can help prevent hitching by reading from system memory ahead of time before new vram textures are needed. The CPU and system memory handle all the draw calls for the GPU. When folks are using minimum monitor resolution 1080p they can use the recommended BF1 vram specifications, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB;)

GDDR3 is still faster than system ram AFAIK. ;)
DDR3 and GDDR3 run the same speed, however GDDR3 can be written and read to at the same time.:)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
So like I said, GDDR3 is faster since it can be written to and read at the same time. THank you. :)