• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XTOC with 5950 bios flash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tru2ya

Can I use the BFG GeForce FX 5950 Ultra VGA BIOS rev1 for flashing? Also I downloaded the nvflash v4.46 but the readme doesn't have step by step instructions on the procedure. Can someone please provide a link? Thanks.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Tru2ya said:
Can I use the BFG GeForce FX 5950 Ultra VGA BIOS rev1 for flashing? Also I downloaded the nvflash v4.46 but the readme doesn't have step by step instructions on the procedure. Can someone please provide a link? Thanks.

Ok first off be sure your card can overclock to or passed 5950 ultra speeds. Once you know for sure the card is capable of these clocks without artifacts then you're good 2 go :D .

I would use the WWFLASH.EXE utility instead of the NVflash. It's easier for me. The rest of the info can be found Here .

Good luck and keep me posted.

OP
T

Tru2ya

I used the bfg 5950 bios in the link you provided but when I was in dos and typed: wfflash.exe bfgfx5950.rom

The dialog box came up showing: There is a conflict in the vga bios and romfile. Abort the flash program!
I wasn't able to get the the screen where it asked me whether or not I would like to update the bios.

Last edited:

kevy8up

i was under the assumption that the 5900xt had only 128mb ram...if the 5950's have 256mb can u still use the bios or is something not gonna match up?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Tru2ya said:
I used the bfg 5950 bios in the link you provided but when I was in dos and typed: wfflash.exe bfgfx5950.rom

The dialog box came up showing: There is a conflict in the vga bios and romfile. Abort the flash program!
I wasn't able to get the the screen where it asked me whether or not I would like to update the bios.

That's cuz you have to rename the bios file to FX5950U.ROM Also be sure the pc and/or the video card is NOT oc'ed!

I flashed my BFG video card (in sig) dozens of times using the method I linked you to without any problems.

kevy8up said:
i was under the assumption that the 5900xt had only 128mb ram...if the 5950's have 256mb can u still use the bios or is something not gonna match up?

Yes. The bios will still read the card as a 5950U but with 128mb of ram.

OP
T

Tru2ya

I renamed the file to fx5950u.rom and I made sure that my video card wasn't overclocked(i'm not sure how it would be if i'm running in dos mode but in windows i made sure it was not overclocked.). The cpu was a little underclocked because their was no combination with a multiplier times a 266 fsb bus that would equal a default speed of 1.83mhz(still not sure why this matters either); However, I still get the same message. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I followed the directions exactly.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Camacho111 said:
Nebulous, Did you have to add any cooling mods your BFG?

Nope, none at all. The BFG card comes with nice ramsinks. All i did was attach my MCW50 wit the FX card adapter :D

Tru2ya said:
I renamed the file to fx5950u.rom and I made sure that my video card wasn't overclocked(i'm not sure how it would be if i'm running in dos mode but in windows i made sure it was not overclocked.). The cpu was a little underclocked because their was no combination with a multiplier times a 266 fsb bus that would equal a default speed of 1.83mhz(still not sure why this matters either); However, I still get the same message. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I followed the directions exactly.

Hmm, ok. For some reason you may have gotton a bad bios file. You can also use the Gainward 5950 ultra file as i have used them.

Go here for the bios
Bios files

Go here for the bios flash Flash

Last edited:

bobmanfoo

Disabled
Tru2ya said:
try boot without emu

OP
T

Tru2ya

Thanks Nebulous for all your help. I finally was able to get it to flash successfully. I left my pc overclocked this time because I didn't understand why not to keep it overclocked as long as everything is working fine. The problem was the instructions i was using that came in the wfflash.exe zip. It showed to type: wfflash.exe [bios]
The correct way: wfflash.exe NM [bios]

Everything seems to be working fine with no artifacts. Before I flashed it, I was already getting artifacts with my memory at 820. Now its at 950 without any problems using the bfg 5950 ultra bios. Must be something to do with the memory settings set to less aggressive with the ultra bios or something.

Anyways,

Thanks again. I'll see I can push this puppy a little more.

OP
T

Tru2ya

Right now I have it running at 475/1000. I think I'm pretty much maxed out on the memory because coolbits is telling me that its failing the test when I go higher then 1001.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Freakin awsome! Congrats bro, i'm glad u got it flashed and it's running good.

max on my card is 500/1Ghz. I might be able to push the core a tad more, but then i lose performance and my scores drop. Guess the throttle down feature kicks in by then. No biggie, i'm happy with it till i can get the 6800U :D