• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bga

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceman2g

What eaxctly is BGA memory, is it memory chip like any other hynix or samsung memory chip or is it memory chip by other manufacteur? What makes it so special?

I assume you want to know the short version of the difference....but if you want the JEDEC standard it's here:

http://www.jedec.org/download/search/JESD79R2.pdf

For the short answer:

it's a new type of architecture that runs cooler, i'm not sure on manufacturers though. I'm not sure where the standard is heading but last time I checked (which was a quite a while ago) companies were trying to transition to it. The reason most high end memory hasn't changed is because BGA is relativly new and needs to be refiened before it can be pushed.

It's a new chip, like a thunderbird to a palomino....(just an analogy for understanding sakes)

actually thats not quite right

BGA stands for Ball Grid Array

It's the name of the package that the i.c (or in this case ram) comes as.

basically, a normal ram chip has its pins either side of its body, which are soldered in place onto the pcb.

BGA, has its pins underneath its body. Im not the best at explaining it, but here goes...

each pin of a bga chip has a tiny Ball of solder on it, and those pins are arranged in a Grid Array
now when the pcb is build, and the components are put on it, the chip is rested in place, and then put through an infra-red oven, which heats the balls of solder up, and solders the pins to the pcb.

Having the pins underneath allows for a smaller overall package, and also is better protected from shortages and such.

Also, most of the time, bga chips are also manufactured on a smaller process than 'normal' chip - meaning they run cooler and faster (much like the xp thoroughbred is made on a smaller process than the xp palamino)

which is why they are the favourable package for graphics card ram. Its also starting to be used as system ram

if i understand mr miller correctly, he means -

the pins in this BGA memory are more like the pins of a CPU, welded on instead of a slot thingy, instead of something like your bios chip, where it looks like an insect (if you get me)

iceman2g said:
"manufactured on a smaller process than 'normal' chip "

What you mean by smaller porcess?
meaning the transistors are closer together.

the spacing is measured in microns.

ever notice the 128mb BGA ram on the ti4600 is about half the size of the 128mb Revision 4 (regular style) ram thats on the Ti4200?

just look at a picture of each card. it will become clear to you then.

yes, but only because its usually made on on smaller process like i said, not because its actually bga.

as i said above the smaller process allow it to run cooler and faster, so yes it will overclock and run faster than the 'old' style ram.

DanFraser: thats exactly correct

Kingmax use BGA in their PC2100 which I must say works exceptionally well at default voltages which I found stable at FSB speeds you simply would not believe ( so I will not mention them :D )

Back