• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Intel News - HT on lower P4s, 800FSB for delayed Prescott.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coz

Of course, it could all be INQ bullspit.:)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6285

and we're getting another Intel price cut in February....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6286

I'd love to see the lower P4 speed grades with HT-enabled, that way you'd get a great overclocking chip with HT and save money too!! The 800FSB is good news too - if it's true that is! Mmmm, 800FSB Prescott with DCDDR400 Springdale PE.....droool.:)

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Damn. I was thinking my PC3200 would be more than enough for the Precotts. 200FSB would be like DDR-II territory...especially if you OC. I didn't think DDR-II would be out until the end of next year at the earliest. I wonder if DDR-II will then be released at the same time? Either that or Corsair had better get some on PC4000 right quick :D

OP
C

Coz

Ross said:
Damn. I was thinking my PC3200 would be more than enough for the Precotts. 200FSB would be like DDR-II territory...especially if you OC. I didn't think DDR-II would be out until the end of next year at the earliest. I wonder if DDR-II will then be released at the same time? Either that or Corsair had better get some on PC4000 right quick :D
In a dual-channel configuration your PC3200 (2 x 3.2GB = 6.4GB/s) meets the bandwidth requirements of an 800FSB (6.4GB/s) perfectly. I think it may still be a little early in the game for DDR-II with Springdale. I would bet on DDR-I for Springdale so hang onto those DDR sticks Ross, you're gonna need 'em!!!:)

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Yeah, without any overclocking ;) My mem would probably limit me to only about 218FSB before it became a problem. Maybe it will go higher, but I've only gotten it to DDR437 2-5-2-2 on 2.9V.

Of course there is no telling how well the Prescotts will OC, but I have to imagine they will at least be +25-33FSB no problem. I am actually thinking that lower speed Prescotts will be crazy OCers capable of 50+FSB over stock. Woof. Can you imagine like 250-275FSB? :D

Of course, if there is no memory that can match the FSB speeds (unless they have underclocking DDR ratios?) without limiting the OC, it might be one case where a higher proc multiplier would be better. I was thinking that the Prescotts would be 166FSB which would've left me with plenty of room in the mem to OC (~50FSB) before the memory was a bottleneck.

The PC3200 isn't going anywhere. One is brand new still in the packaging waiting for GB. I guess I might need to move up to PC3500 for Prescott if I want more than 18FSB OC :rolleyes:

DarthWicket

The 800FSB is good news too - if it's true that is! Mmmm, 800FSB Prescott with DCDDR400 Springdale PE.....droool

sry to correct you but those 800FSB P4s will be NORTHWOODS... :)

from the article it says

WE'VE KNOWN FOR some time that the Springdale-G and Springdale-P chipsets might support 667MHz but now Intel has upped the ante by saying it will support Northwood Pentium 4s with an 800MHz front side bus.

And the only reason im stepping in to get the facts straight is it might be possible for a chipsets otherthan springdale to support a 800mhz P4... maybe even granite bay... as some of the review sites (t-break in specific http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=167 )

hit 195 fsb with thier granite bay using a engi chip + the motherboard supposedly supports FSBs up to 340 in 1 mhz incrments... considering that the 800mhz p4s will continue to use the 478 platform... thier might be hope for use with GB & todays motherboards... since many claim to be able to reach 250 fsb in thier specs.

i wonder if the switch from GB's ICH4 to springdale's ICH5 makes any difference...

as for overclocking... one has to take into effect things like the memory timings for the PC 3200 sticks... if you check the ratings on those Cas 2 sticks, they say if u put in 2 that it goes back to Cas 2.5... anything over the 216.5 fbs mark (pc3500) might be to much for any DDR I to run dual channel... but than again this is all guess work till feb...

Last edited:

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Wow. I wonder what effect that will have their OCability and speeds? Will they keep the same speeds and just drop the multipliers or are we looking at faster P4s? I was thinking of trying to find a 2.0 C1 to replace my 2.53 with, but maybe I'll hold off a few months and see what the deal is with these.

Yeah, I saw in the P4G8X manual that it had FSB settings up to 400MHz and was wondering what the hell. I kinda had a feeling that 200FSB stock bus speeds would be a little much for DDR-I (read below). Everyone would have to run PC3200 or 3500 unless they had mem underclocking ratios, which would totally defeat the purpose of DCDDR.