• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big(ish) TF2 Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omsion

Not a class update - but major changes to Demoman, Engi, and Spy have occured. Also, scout update will be next.

Spy cloak now recharges with ammo pickups. This may break spies, not in terms of their general killing ability, but in their ability to not die. Now any decent spy that knows a map can pretty much stay permacloaked and simpily pick off people with no repercussion at all (kill, take ammo, cloak and run) - the only danger is when they choose to attack a swarm (kill those near uber medics :D) or SG nests. In otherwords, spies are now more annoying (though not neccesairly more dangerous). However, one thing that bugs me is that they can take ammor/cloak from enemy dispensors while cloaked. That is clearly broken, imo. A spy can now chill cloaked on a dispensor and wait for the perfect time to uncloak and sap (ie when some friendlies show up).

Engies now have L3 dispensers and teleporters - L3 teleporters are really fast, probably around 1/4 the charge time. L3 dispensers heal as fast as medics, and discharge ammo at 3x the rate. 200 metal to upgrade. It does present some interesting choices for pregame building. Doesn't seem broken yet.

Demoman stickies, when shot at by bullets (ie mingun, shotguns, sniper smg), they dissappear. Not explode. Dissapear. Although it doesn't seem a major nerf as you'd think, as there's really no time to be sitting around shooting stickies, and the heavy's minigun is too random to be efficient at clearing them out anyway. Plus you always could blow them out of the way in the past. The only major effect I think this will have is that a lone demo now can't kill a guarded SG easily, as the engi (or anyone else) can just shoot out the stickies instead of having them still close by (and dealing damage).

The Engineer's teleporters can now be upgraded to level three. It will recharge faster the higher level it is

The Engineer's dispensers can now be upgraded to level three. It will give out metal and heal faster as it is upgraded

Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground or from health cabinets

Some changes to the second part of the first stage of Goldrush to give the attackers more of an advantage

Any weapons that fire bullets (shotguns, sniper's machine gun, heavy's minigun, etc.) can now break apart the Demoman's stickybombs

The icon on the HUD for a person calling for Medic will now give more information to the medic (if the target is low on health, on fire, etc.)

Added an achievement tracker that will allow people to choose specific achievements that they are trying to get

There is now a custom icon for death messages when the player was killed from a critical hit

Added a new particle effect for when a player enters the water

Added smoke to the feet of a rocket jumping soldier

Players will now have some particles swirling around them so other players can see when they are overhealed

OP
Omsion

Omsion

good review dude, nice post.

What do you mean broken?

also pretty sure its 400 metal for full upgrade on dispenser
Yeah, 200 each :beer:

By broken, I mean OP - although nothing is seriously out of whack (except for spies cloaked on dispensors), despite some early claims (my thoughts evolved as I wrote :D)

tom10167

I see.

For what it's worth picking up metal while cloaked doesn't really add a ton of time, I'm guessing that 200 = full bar so if you grab a gun you have like 5 extra seconds, it's not like any scrap is 10 seconds of cloak.

Hazaro

I see.

For what it's worth picking up metal while cloaked doesn't really add a ton of time, I'm guessing that 200 = full bar so if you grab a gun you have like 5 extra seconds, it's not like any scrap is 10 seconds of cloak.

Correct.

The only thing I found after playing 3 hours is that the level 3 tele cooldown of 3 seconds is ridiculous. It should be 5 MAX.

Demo sticky "nerf" only effects area of denial. Place them outside of view and they are as lethal as ever. Engies can shoot them, but so far this hasn't been a problem. (Except once on 1 uber, needed 5 stickies to kill a gun).

Spy cloak is really fun:santa:

hl22008-12-1117-36-39-01Large.jpg
hl22008-12-1117-52-08-70Large.jpg
hl22008-12-1117-59-25-34Large.jpg

Pretty much sums it up. :p

OP
Omsion

Omsion

Why why why must engies place SGs in the same places :( (and what were those doing in front of their spawn :confused:)
Makes my inner engi sad.

Be creative people! It leads to good fun and many many kills :beer:

L3 dispensers are really useful. Medic-speed healing is good for the team.

Angel-of-Sorrow

I was gonna post this a few hours ago, but I got lazy and then a few minutes after the blog update they updated the game and I decided to play instead. lol

Angel-of-Sorrow

This updates big glitch, there is always at least one, even though this update has two.
Here is the least known.

Cartdispenser.jpg

Angel-of-Sorrow

Actually, apparently it makes the cart heal as fast as a level 3 dispenser. But I haven't gotten a chance to test it. The other glitch is more annoying. It's always gotta be the Spy who gets screwed over in updates.

rainless

Old Member
I'm still waiting for an update to fix my newly-invented multi-core stuttering problem.

Never had this problem before switching to x48

Leviathan41

I'm still waiting for an update to fix my newly-invented multi-core stuttering problem.

Never had this problem before switching to x48
I don't think TF2 officially has multi-core support. I know you can turn it on, but it is buggy. At least last time I read about it (a couple months ago), it was buggy, that may have changed.

Does it still stutter if you use "mat_queue_mode 1"?

Angel-of-Sorrow

Well, feel free to let us know when you plan on telling us what it is.

Oh, I figured people would know already. Overhealed Spy's still have the little medical crosses regardless if they're disguised or cloaked. Which of course means that friendly medics are now the Spy's worse enemy.

GBH

I usually never get healed by friendly medics as a spy anyways so sounds like I'll be good :)

~(o)-(0)~

I'm taking a minute off gaming to post here, but omg, engi update FTW!!!!

Of course thats my class and I've been waiting forever, hell they could have just made the dispenser change colors and i would have been happy :p

and OMG that dispenser on the cart is hilarious!!1

rainless

Old Member
I don't think TF2 officially has multi-core support. I know you can turn it on, but it is buggy. At least last time I read about it (a couple months ago), it was buggy, that may have changed.

Does it still stutter if you use "mat_queue_mode 1"?

I believe it does officially support multicores (since late last year). And mat_queue_mode 1 does work... but I've been playing the damned game for a YEAR (before getting this mobo and CPU...) without having to do that.