• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Problem Need Help Now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanohue

Ok, I just just popped the IHS off my Opteron 148 successfully, not a single mark up. I popped it in the computer and I get a beeping noise and I'm thinking, "O s**t" but the noise stopped and I got into my BIOS screen and immediately checked my temps. CPU core was reading 68-70C! I immediately clicked the power and took off the TDX to check the core. The AS5 was completely spread out but my temps were rediculous. What do I do?

O god, I am having a nightmare right now, I put the IHS back on and it just shut off. Cmon I need answers, I'm at the brink of insanity. I'm going to bed now, leave some answers for me. :cry:

The block probably isn't making good contact with the core. It was probably designed to be mounted with the IHS on, so you will need to find a way to adjust it to get proper contact. It may have enough pressure to spread the AS5, but not enough to conduct the heat.
When you put the IHS back on, the core probably was not making good contact with the IHS, especially if you didn't redo the thermal paste in it.

with the ihs off, the heatsink may not be making good contact. was there any overflow of the as5 off of the core? If not, then you need to modify the heatsink to make better contact.

Sorry i was a post too late. :bang head

One more vote for bad contact - you should see the imprint of the full cpu die in the thinly spread AS5 on your heat sink if its making contact properly

Ok, I'll give remounting a few tries. How can I tell if I've fried it though, just in case? Thermal-throttling prevents this too right?

Seanohue said:
Ok, I'll give remounting a few tries. How can I tell if I've fried it though, just in case? Thermal-throttling prevents this too right?

hmm, you might want to check the TCaseMax thread and compare the listing of Maximum Case Temp that somebody with your same stepping/week posted. that may give you an idea, it seems to me that the highest opterons are rated at 71C but I may be reading this info completely wrong.

Whew, crisis is over. I did a few remounts and it stopped booting! But, like the answer to most solutions, a little moving of the CCMOS jumper fixed it all up :). Heres the new problem however: My BIOS reports CPU temp at 40C, much higher than before. I think my TDX is stll mounted improperly, due to the GPU block tubes pushing up on it. The felt pads I have now are too high to be compressed onto the core and those were the smallest ones home depot had.

Last edited:
Well, I lost something out of this. Once I reset the BIOS, I cant edit it or else it wont POST again. If I let the BIOS be, I can boot into windows, but after a reboot, the BIOS needs to be reset again. Can I blame this on the motherboard or CPU? It could be either because I tried sanding down the socket edge and for the first few sandings, I didnt cover the socket and obviously it could be the CPU in case I actually did something wrong.

Back