• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG PROBLEM!!!! Urgent!!! 8KHA+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albreck

Hi.... I have a 8KHA+ from about 6 months.. all ok.... then about 2 or 3 weeks ago, the cpu fan start to stop working, the fan is a Dragon Orb 3+ the cpu a xp1600+, I start the computer few hours the mobo alarm start to sound the cpu fan is off, turn off the computer, wait start the computer again, the fan start to work again... but today the alarm sound, turn off the computer, wait 3 hours start the computer... and.... :( it doesn't start at all... no vital sings.. no nothing.... what happend??????????????????????? :( :eh?:
ps bad???? mobo fried??? cpu???? what?????!!!!!!!
the ps is 300 or 350 watts.... please help!!!!!! nothing works

Mobo 8KHA+
CPU xp 1600+
fan Dragon Orb 3+
Mem 512 DDR Kingston 2100
HD IBM deskstar 60gb
PS generic 300 or 350 watts :(

EluSiOn

i have those kind of problem before... it was the power cable to my psu was loose... so i wiggle it a bit... then I can boot again... sometimes I have to turn off the psu...unplug the power cable, reset the power outlet extension etc ... then my system would boot again

Last edited:

Tarzan

Registered
Its not good ignoring problems when you are being warned about them. When mb tell you cpu fan has a problem you should check it out. Try connect it directly to PSU if not allready - if fan works that is! The fan thingy on mobo might be tired of it.

bldegle2

answered in the other thread

sounds like CPU fryage.

test it with another motherboard. if you don't have one, i am sure there is a computer shop somewhere where you live that can check it for you.

baldy:cool:

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I lost a few posts yesterday during the DDoS troubles it seems:(

Sounds like fryage to me too, I'm afraid.

But there are possibilities:
If you had the BIOS set to shut down if the cpu fan is not working it won't boot up without a fan. And it sounds like you had some fan troubles for a while :(

A point on fan headers: high-performance fans will burn out the headers: for that reason I don't use them!
I have every fan I use hooked up to molex connectors.

BUT: you can hook up another 3 wire fan to that header to test it, just make sure that the other fan is connected to power.

Fan sensing can be turned off in BIOS once you get in, if you can get in.

As someone else posted, you ignore error messages at your peril: there is usually a reason why something is causing errors and if you don't fix it then permanent damage is probable.

Good luck.

EluSiOn

even the cpu is fried and the p80 debug LED is still able to tell you it is the CPU has the problem.

I tried to boot the sytem without the cpu in it and there was mother board pc speaker warning sound long beep in a continous loop.

I have my system totally unresponsive to me before. I realize that epox mobo is very picky about its power supply and I have to "ground" the system and the power switch before I can boot up the machine again.

wildfrogman

Hey, i think i can help. I had a friend with almost the exact mobo just the non + version and same heatsink. The dragon orb3 heatsink~fan combos are known for the fans going dead quite a bit. I would check that out first and foremost. If that is the case you can probably either get another heatsink or custom make mountings for the heatsink to mount a fan. You could test out with say a 3 pin fan you have laying around or such. Also make sure that the fan doesnt draw power like that dragon orb3 fan does, as i have heard it burning out fan headers before and that would be very bad. Then again, that could be the problem also......hope not. This info should help a bit.

OP
Albreck

Albreck

thanks for all the help... but when I remove the fan was a dead cpu... it... it..... it just.... die!!!!!!!! :( crack corners :cry:

bldegle2

cracked corners???

that indicates a problem with heatsink attachment to begin with, the corners just don't 'fall off'.

when you get your new cpu, you got to be extra carefull attaching the heatsink or damage can occur.

anyway, my best advise to real good attachment would be to install the heatsink out of the case, then reinstall the motherboard with everything already attached. I have done this is the past with balky heatsinks, takes a little longer, but the peace of mind it brings is worth it.

good luck with the new cpu.

baldy:cool:

wildfrogman

Hmm, almost looks like a good time to get a different heatsink if the fan is dead and you may be needing better cooling. The dragon orb3+ weighs a ton and doesnt perform as well as other heatsinks much easyier to install and less noisy. Personally i would look around and see what heatsink has a nice clip and performs really well. Say a thermalright sk-7 or such. They are a pretty good price considering they perform very very well. The sk6+ heatsinks are pertty good also and cheaper yet. This may save a cpu or two later down the road and could be worth it considering they will let you overclock much higher also with the same~possibly less noise than the dragon orb3+