• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-bigadv/VM/OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJ-5

I have Win7 32bit for my host OS with an 8 core VM running Ubuntu 64bit and 6GB ram.

Start/right click on computer/properties: says that I have 6 GB of ram with only 3.9 GB usable.

Does this mean that to fold -bigadv, with an 8 core VM in Windows, I have to run Win7 64bit as my host OS so all of the 6 GB ram will be usable by the host OS?

Or, will the VM utilize what I've given to it and fold the -bigadv wu inspite of the host OS being 32bit and not having all 6 GB usable?

onefstsnake

Im not really sure on this one.
Yor Bios should see all 6gb of memory.

I wonder if VMplayer will be able to use the 6gb even if Win7 cant.
Or you could dual boot with a version of linux.
That would save you from having to buy Win7 64 bit.

OP
C

CJ-5

I have Win7 64bit available but my computer is already set up with the 32bit version and the 8 core VM. I'm already folding non-bigadv in the VM and don't want to reinstall everything if I don't have to.

onefstsnake: I wonder if VMplayer will be able to use the 6gb even if Win7 cant.

That is the big question! Thanks for restating my question in an easier format.

Norcalsteve

I believe if your CPU is VT-x or AMD-V it will run the virtual 64 Linux, as for the mem, i believe if windows sees it but only uses 3.9 your vm will be good... BUT, if the host machine only utilizes 3.9 and you need 4200 for Bigadv, you may get mem swap errors. best bet is to "upgrade" your windows to 64... your files should stay the same if you choose "upgrade" but back everything up jsut to make sure.

Also, i am by no means an expert on the 32/64 bit question. i am sure someone can confirm or deny my finds.

Giz

If your using VMplayer with Linux Ubuntu, I just found this in a thread from a different forum:

If your not sure what version of Ubuntu is on your system(s)? You can find this info easily via the GUI or the terminal. Here’s how:

To display the version from the GUI:

1. Go to the Main Menu.

2. Click System, mouseover Administration and select System Monitor.

3. Select the System tab. The version of Ubuntu will be displayed along with info on the Kernel, GNOME version, memory, processor and available disk space.

I tried it and it shows you the amount of memory available for Ubuntu. Does yours show 6GB here? Not sure if that helps? I'm no Linux expert!

ChasR

I don't believe the guest OS is going to be able to "see" memory unavailable to the host.

Adak

If your Linux kernel can use memory outside of the 32 bit limit, (3GB), then you're fine. If not, then no.

Giz, You don't have to be using a VM, to see that info. Native Ubuntu works the same way.

OP
C

CJ-5

ChasR: I don't believe the guest OS is going to be able to "see" memory unavailable to the host.

Rats!

This means an all day re-install session tomorrow of 3 OS. My 64bit Win7 is an upgrade disk and has to have either XP or Vista already installed. I don't think it will let me just change from Win7 32bit to Win7 64bit but I'll certainly try it first.

I did set the VM to 4300 mb and Ubuntu System manager is showing memory of 4100 mb...but can I really trust these numbers?

Adak

If Ubuntu says it can see the memory, then it's able to use it. It's not like the memory isn't there.

I'll check on the FAH forum, and see what they have to say.

Edit: Didn't see that question being answered, so I posted your question on the FAH forum. We should have some answers in 48 hours or so.

Last edited:

Giz

Giz, You don't have to be using a VM, to see that info. Native Ubuntu works the same way.

Thanks for the info Adak. I didn't word my post to well!

I aimed my reply at the VMplayer and not native Linux cause that's what I thought cj-5 is using ;)

onefstsnake

I did set the VM to 4300 mb and Ubuntu System manager is showing memory of 4100 mb...but can I really trust these numbers?

Ubuntu will show slightly less mem than what you set VM to use.
I guess VM uses a small percentage of the mem.
I sent my i7 @ 5000mb and Ubuntu shows ~4800mb.

OP
C

CJ-5

Thanks for posting on FAH Forums, Adak.

tear, provided a link to a discussion that talks about the VM not being able to recognize more ram than the Host OS even if additional ram is present.

OP
C

CJ-5

ihrsetrdr: One problem with the Host OS not being able to 'see' all the physical RAM, is that VMplayer won't let you assign more RAM to the VM than the Host can recognize.

But it did. The Host OS recognizes 3.9 GB out of 6 GB as usable and VMplayer allowed me to set it to 4.3 GB by editing the .vmx file. The guest OS recognized 4.1 GB. Because the VMplayer and guest OS recognized more than the Host OS is why I was not certain whether the extra 2.1 GB of the 6 in the computer was usable or not by -bigadv.

You are right ithe VM wouldn't let me give it more than 3 GB in the regular configuring of the guest OS by moving the slider. I had to edit the .vmx file to get 4.3 GB.

OP
C

CJ-5

I don't think folding has been tried with these kinds of settings. Everyone presumes that the VM and Guest OS will not recognize memory beyond what the Host OS recognizes and will end up swap filing in order to fold the -bigadv. If that is the case then I would expect it to slow folding down considerably.

As for me, I am going to go through the pain of re-installing XP, then upgrading to Win7, re-installing VMplayer and the guest OS today...and it should probably take all day.