• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIGGEST scare of my flippin life!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

Sorry about that 'flippin' and what it is supposed to represent, but you'll see why!

Started up my comp, and this appears (well, similar)

Award 2001 Bios

CMOS Checksum error

PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

OH DEAR! This wouldnt even allow me to press enter to try a disk!

I totally filled my underpants when I saw this...

But, I took my system apart, unplugged everything, and took the cmos battery out... left it for 30 mins, and then put it back together, and booted up... it worked... and then my temp has dropped by 5c! My HSF is now cool to the touch! (well, its 36c, but well see how long that temp actually lasts...)

Am I extremely lucky?

repo man11

Yes, you are lucky. The only time I ever saw that was after a BIOS flash went bad. But if you ever see that again, and nothing else works, try this. It may be your best bet.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
Admiral Fraser said:
Sorry about that 'flippin' and what it is supposed to represent, but you'll see why!

Started up my comp, and this appears (well, similar)

Award 2001 Bios

CMOS Checksum error

PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

OH DEAR! This wouldnt even allow me to press enter to try a disk!

I totally filled my underpants when I saw this...

But, I took my system apart, unplugged everything, and took the cmos battery out... left it for 30 mins, and then put it back together, and booted up... it worked... and then my temp has dropped by 5c! My HSF is now cool to the touch! (well, its 36c, but well see how long that temp actually lasts...)

Am I extremely lucky?

actually i got that error lat night after cleaning out the dust bunnies but i just cleared CMOS for ten sec., booted it right back up and went on.

fuzzba11

How about we play 'how to kill a motherboard in three easy steps!'

1.) Push your fsb past what it can go
2.) When you get nothing when you power up, power down, and switch jumper to clear CMOS.
3.) Don't remember to change the jumper back to the original pins, power up.

Ottoman

that happened to my buddy... he upped the FSB a bit..

went into windows, booted, checked temps he decided to try for more, rebooted and boom, same message...

clearing cmos didn't work... his bios just vanished...

when I reflashed there was nothing to backup.. it just reloaded it, and it worked after that

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I got that error everytime I booted up a Socket 7 system I was working on. The CMOS battery had been completely discharged.

I also got that error after hosing the BIOS flash of my now deceased KT7.

I also got it after leaving my computer off during a thunderstorm. My BIOS had completely cleared all of my unique settings and had reset the clock to the manufacturing date.

drunkmonkey

Hah,

I bought a small blue light from radio shack and a screw on wire connector, where you screw down the screw to clamp the wire.
Well, I hooked up a molex up to my connectors to it with some intercom cable and attached the ends of the wires of my light to the screws.
I turn on my computer and the light doesn't turn on, so I screw around with the wires and It lights up fine.
Well, as I pull my hand out of of the comp I dropped my screwdriver onto the 12V wire I soldered onto the molex and NOOOO! the 12V comes off of the screw and hits the the metal case and all l I hear is a ZORCH! and my comp flips off. At this point is were I'm screaming, "oh s***, its dead!, god D*** it!".
After freaking out, trying to cycle the power, RESETTING MY POWERSUPPLY, I gave up and sat down.
After 5 mins of thinking I look under my desk and the powersupply was off, I said to myself"H'mm why is that off?", I turned it on and "Beep Beep!", my comp turned on. At the tops of my lungs I screamed "YEESS!!"

thefly

Strange.

I've had that message before after over clocking too high and having to reset the cmos.

Unpluged the computer. Reset the cmos jumper and bingo, i was off to the races again.

IT's happened about 6 times. Never a problem.

Guess i've been lucky!

Element-Xero

i got this error on a 486 i was building when i was about 12 years old lol. I remember how insanely irritated i was by it. Then a couple years later i went back and fixed it with a cmos clear. Lol its running final doom, and duke nukem 3d sp smoothly. hehe

ShiFtY2001

Registered
D00d if this is the biggest scare of your life you need to get out more!!!! j/k Try g/f pregnancy scares to see your life flash before your eyes... thank god for false positives :)
omg
~ShiFtY out~

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
ShiFtY2001 said:
D00d if this is the biggest scare of your life you need to get out more!!!! j/k Try g/f pregnancy scares to see your life flash before your eyes... thank god for false positives :)
omg
~ShiFtY out~

ShiFty,

Why did you have to go and do that??? I'm reading away, helping out when I can, learning when I can't, and BAM I read your post and get hit with the cold shudders of the past!

Nothing brings on the willeys like memories of dodging bullets.

Cheers,
Wedo

Cooler666

Disabled
ShiFtY2001 said:
omg
~ShiFtY out~

damn, i've been there too, women these days :p

repo man11

Not a problem I've run into. My personality is the most effective form of birth control on the planet!

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Repo Man11,

I'm not sure if I respect you more for your candor, honesty, self-awareness or you quotes in your sig. Either way, thanks for the laugh.

Wedo

repo man11

Glad I could make you laugh. " I was in a singles bar the other night, hopping from stool to stool, hoping to get lucky. But there wasn't gum underneath any of them." Emo Phillips.

repo man11

Then you'll like reading Bertrand Russell, if you're not allready familiar with his work. Do a Google search, and plenty of reading material comes up. Enjoy.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Thats the same error you get if you leave a non-bootable floppy in the Drive.

The amount of times people will dismantle their PC, loose all hope and then I'll take out the Floppy Disk is amazing!

I would laugh if thats what happened to you, you didn't happen to remove a floppy when you dismantled the rig did you:D

M_N