• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bill Gates -- Well, for what it's worth...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
That's funny.....shame there's no piccie:)

Don't knock Bill Gates. I know everyones least loved company is Microsoft, but think carefully about what Bill and Microsoft have done for the computing industry.

If you're old enough, think back to the days when it was large mainframe systems and terminals......

If you had an IBM system, You had to buy IBM peripherals, IBM software, IBM support etc etc... Same went for the other computer manufacturers (Data General being the foremost in my mind)

Heaven forbid if you wanted one make to talk to the other! Then it was all sorts of programming shenanigans to transfer data.

What Bill and Microsoft should be thanked for is standardising the computer industry, making it more accesible and user friendly, and more importantly, compatible with each other.......

palee72

reddeathdrinker said:
What Bill and Microsoft should be thanked for is standardising the computer industry, making it more accesible and user friendly, and more importantly, compatible with each other.......

when was the last time you used windows???? :D

I partially agree with what you say.. Micorshaft did a great job of standardizing the PC world... My only problem with that is, when the standard crashes, is crashing the standard?

[/gates bashing]

baqai

Well there is no argument that Bill Gates and Microsoft played an important role .. but than Microsoft turned into Micro$oft and that made the difference

It's like a rich spoiled child who just want's everything (by any means) atleast this is the thing which ticks me off

bubba gump

Well, there is one more upside for the fact that Bill Gates and his humoungos corpopration(sp?).......I doubt if it wasnt for expensive,non free, non open src operating systems, i doubt Linux and its many "makes" would be here today... I may be talkin uber bull****....but who knows this is my opinion :/

funnyperson1

if you try redhat8.0 SuSE 8.1 or Mandrake 9.0 i assure you, you will find that ease of use and installation isnt a windows patent lol....though i still use windows mostly for gaming and so that i dont waste [email protected] time using two different consoles, linux is great imho....

i also think its great he gave 100mill to stop aids in india....

bubba gump

Oh yes and namagomi......most of the popular distro's have a GUI (liek a desktop thing, so its not ALL command prompts) There is some tweaking im pretty sure that people use the command prompt to fix some things...not sure never used it but i dont love mr g.....

All his excess money goes to good causes......i hope.... That man has to much money....hehe, thats what ya get

Mr. $T$

when was the last time you used windows????

Have you ever used DOS?

Unless you knew the command then you couldent open it.

In windows you click on what you want to open. Now that is easy.

palee72

Lets see.. If I remember right, when microsoft first came out (as DOS), it was command prompts.. Then it migrated to a GUI setup and became a great hit because of ease of use and marketing.. Anyone think that Linux (pick your flavor) will become more prevelant because of it's GUI interface in the future?

I've never used it, I do have a version (5.something I think) that I never installed because reading about the install scared me out of it... (ducks head, makes sound of a chicken, runs out of room before laughter becomes deafining).....:burn:

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
palee72 said:
Lets see.. If I remember right, when microsoft first came out (as DOS), it was command prompts.. Then it migrated to a GUI setup and became a great hit because of ease of use and marketing.. Anyone think that Linux (pick your flavor) will become more prevelant because of it's GUI interface in the future?

IF the distros can get their act together and manufacturers will have widely available and easy to install drivers.

Linux is too high-maintanence for the average PC user (or someone like me who needs a PC that's extrememly reliable).

And everyone needs to quit whining about Bill Gates. It's getting old and he really doesn't deserve it. He's a charitable individual and has done ALOT to accelerate the advancement of computing. Without software, hardware is a pretty useless thing.

TheFrag

i think that the real reason a lot of people hate Microsoft is because they are jumping on the bandwagon. Linux isnt that friendly, little-to-no game support, few drivers, etc.... I wouldnt have fun if I had just Linux and no windows, i would hardly be able to do anything. As much as you guys hate Microsoft and can say "d00d, l1nu)( is 50 |V|u(h 83773|2 7h4n W1n810ze, n00b!", where would you be without windows. When you think about it, the main reason linux is spreading is because of Windows. People who download it most likely do so from Windows.

I will leave the Linux to all the "Pros" and use be a "n00b and use "w1n810ze)(P".

my2cents

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
I do not believe that people are actualy critcal of Mr Gates himself just the company which he is associated with, very little in the way of anything productive to the user has come from the doors of MS for a while.. While it is true that MS has given much to computing, it could be claimed that computing has lost just as much due to this company.
The early Netscape browser for example had an API which was independant from the OS which effectively meant that with work you could program applications to run from the browser thus making it cross platform and not dependant on the OS which threatened MS's core business. A great deal of effort was placed into destroying this threat.. the same effort is currently being placed on Linux and Java as these in certain markets threaten MS and what of Paladium.. is that for the user ?

It is cool that he's giving money to worthy causes and that must be appluaded, however I just wish that the users needs, such as reliability, cost effectiveness, value for money, security and reasonable EULA's were thought of a little more than profit.. It seems strange to me that we are now paying more for the software we run on our pc's than our pc's, expecially when I think that the software comes on a CD which probably costs less than the box my motherboard came in :D