• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Binning on the Broadwell E chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

Some specs have come through on the new Broadwell E series.

Bin.JPG

Based on this sheet, why would anyone buy the 6850K over the 6800K?
Paying a huge premium for 200 mhz seems crazy on unlocked chips unless you can overclock the 6850K more.

I wonder if this is just a binning process at Intel. If you buy a 6800K you are very limited on OC but if you spend more for the 6850K, you get lots of OC headroom.

Pure speculation on my part here.... hmmm.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I imagine similarly to the 5820k versus 5930k, the higher-end one may offer additional PCI-E lanes?

funsoul

Not sure guys but I think the platform is still 40 pcie-lanes. Am thinking it might be more like the e8600 vs e8700 thing? Higher stock clock, MAYBE a little more headroom but not worth much hardware points due to so few people running them.

And yeah...that 6950x :drool: $1500 for a random retail and you know a nice, binned one will go for well north of $2k. I'd imagine goldens will go for $2500-3k *ouch*

funsoul

Hiya E.D.!

Yessir...x79 was the same. The 2011 platforms are all limited to a max of 40 lanes (whether the cpus can use them all or not).

Kenrou

And yeah...that 6950x :drool: $1500 for a random retail and you know a nice, binned one will go for well north of $2k. I'd imagine goldens will go for $2500-3k *ouch*

Ok ok ok you gotta explain to me where the hell do i buy binned/golden CPU's... Silicon lottery means eff-all if we can buy them from the offset :drool:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
There is a reason why it's called a lottery... it's the luck of the draw. You get get a well above average cpu, you can break even or profit. A golden sample... a lot of profit. ;)

Last edited:

Kenrou

Well yes but what i meant was where do I buy one specifically, is there forums for that ? Do I put up an advert "wanted X CPU, HAS TO BE binned/golden" ?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Absolutely!

Or in forums, people sell them. That's why you see others asking about voltage at x clockspeed. I've seen wtb threads asking for say XGhz+ chips '3d benchable'. That type of thing.

Kenrou

Cute, so my $290 6700k 4.8ghz 1.38v is now worth $459.99 simply because i got lucky with the binning ? nice to know :thup:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you were selling it in that site, yes. You likely wouldn't fetch that in the open market though. People looking for ln2 binned chips for the most part...but the low voltage at that speed is a good sign.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
On cold all can be different. Chips that require low voltage on ambient temps are not always scalling good on cold. Each chip has that higher voltage step to reach some point and all matters when it will appear ... like till ~4.8GHz it will be something near 0.05V every 200MHz but above it can be 0.1V. Some chips will go up to 6GHz at 0.05V steps but some will need 0.1V higher voltage to go from 5.1 to 5.2GHz. So LN2 binning is actually the way to check if CPU doesn't have that higher voltage steps at lower clock.
Above is just example so you could see the difference between air and cold binning.
My skylake example. I have i7 6700K and i3 6320. Both on 2 cores can make ~4.8GHz 1.4V on water and both can make 5GHz ~1.5V ... but 6320 can make 200-300MHz higher max clock at the same voltage on cold.

Going back to Broadwell-E. I'm not sure if 8 core+ chips will be popular as this price is just sick. I also don't know if there is point to replace 5820K with new 6 core.

Kenrou

I'm not sure if 8 core+ chips will be popular as this price is just sick. I also don't know if there is point to replace 5820K with new 6 core.

Not if you're coming from Intel but if you got a FX or lower AMD... massive difference in performance... assuming you got the cooling to keep it going ?

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Those who upgrade from any AMD will see difference even on 4 cores like 6700K. Also users usually pick AMD because they think it's so much cheaper so I doubt they will move to 8 core+ Intel where only CPU costs $1k+.
Most users who have 2-3 year old Intel rig don't need upgrades. AMD users if had no problems with performance till now then clearly don't need anything faster.

Kenrou

I'll say, from a 8370 4.7ghz ddr3 to a 6700k 4.8ghz ddr4 my CPU scores doubled (no exaggeration) on image/video editing, not to mention games. Also my wallet thanked me for the change considering the electric bill long term ;)

"Problems with performance" is in the eye of the beholder, some make do with 30fps, others 60fps (myself), now we have the 144fps stupidity...