• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios conflict RX 570 Powercolor Red Dragon AXRX 570 4gbd5-3dhd/oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITMtechnology

Registered
Dear Engineers and technicians

I have an issue that I couldn't sort out myself, perhaps someone with more experience on this situation could give me a solution for my failure.
Here is the case: Powercolor model axrx 570 4gbd5-3dhd/oc Red Dragon does not display on post but can be detected by windows 10. Bios have been modified by an less informed person that not only flashed a new bios but flashed it on both bios position.
The card is accessible on the device manager when the computer is booted with integrate or other card. I am able to flash any new bios on it, but all previous attempt resulted to the same issue. However, some other bios just makes the windows crash when GPU-z is initialized.

I have contacted the retailer and I have been told that if bios is upgraded the warrant if voided. I have downloaded almost all available bios that can be found by searching on google. Since the warrant can't be a solution, I have removed the heatsink to investigate what memories are on this card. They are all SK Hynix, 8 chips total 4GB. The reason for this is I wasn't sure if the bright person had flashed the correct memory type to start. It could be samsung or elpida as if you flash the wrong bios it will be displayed on GPU-z with the information of the new bios despite you have other memory. this point perhaps can help people that see a type of memory on their GPU-z and insist to flash with that information.

Resume: Card installs, I have tried 5 different versions of AMD drivers. including blockchain drivers. The GPU is visible as installed on the device manager, but no display, no Fill rate Pixel or Texture and the clocks are 0 (Zero). Cables have been tested, ports and screen are all fine. Contacted Powercolor requesting the original bios for the specific serial number and model but no reply yet. I have read a number of people teaching how to flash but this isn't the issue. I can flash any bios that I have, the problem is no bios seems to make it work. I had the same problem while ago with a Sapphire R9 270x, downloaded more than 10 bios that apparently were the same to finally find only one that made the card post. On this case I believe that only the original hynix memory bios without elpida or other memory mixed would work.

If someone have this bios around please let me know. I could be wrong and the problem is something else, but so far I haven't seen any case like this before and I would appreciate any expertise though on this issue.

Kind regards,

ITM

Dear Engineers and technicians

I have an issue that I couldn't sort out myself, perhaps someone with more experience on this situation could give me a solution for my failure.
Here is the case: Powercolor model axrx 570 4gbd5-3dhd/oc Red Dragon does not display on post but can be detected by windows 10. Bios have been modified by an less informed person that not only flashed a new bios but flashed it on both bios position.
The card is accessible on the device manager when the computer is booted with integrate or other card. I am able to flash any new bios on it, but all previous attempt resulted to the same issue. However, some other bios just makes the windows crash when GPU-z is initialized.

I have contacted the retailer and I have been told that if bios is upgraded the warrant if voided. I have downloaded almost all available bios that can be found by searching on google. Since the warrant can't be a solution, I have removed the heatsink to investigate what memories are on this card. They are all SK Hynix, 8 chips total 4GB. The reason for this is I wasn't sure if the bright person had flashed the correct memory type to start. It could be samsung or elpida as if you flash the wrong bios it will be displayed on GPU-z with the information of the new bios despite you have other memory. this point perhaps can help people that see a type of memory on their GPU-z and insist to flash with that information.

Resume: Card installs, I have tried 5 different versions of AMD drivers. including blockchain drivers. The GPU is visible as installed on the device manager, but no display, no Fill rate Pixel or Texture and the clocks are 0 (Zero). Cables have been tested, ports and screen are all fine. Contacted Powercolor requesting the original bios for the specific serial number and model but no reply yet. I have read a number of people teaching how to flash but this isn't the issue. I can flash any bios that I have, the problem is no bios seems to make it work. I had the same problem while ago with a Sapphire R9 270x, downloaded more than 10 bios that apparently were the same to finally find only one that made the card post. On this case I believe that only the original hynix memory bios without elpida or other memory mixed would work.

If someone have this bios around please let me know. I could be wrong and the problem is something else, but so far I haven't seen any case like this before and I would appreciate any expertise though on this issue.

Kind regards,

ITM

Just to be clear, in the sentence I have highlighted are you talking about the computer motherboard bios or the video card bios?

I am wondering if this should be moved to the AMD video card section of the forum.

Just to be clear, in the sentence I have highlighted are you talking about the computer motherboard bios or the video card bios?

I am wondering if this should be moved to the AMD video card section of the forum.

Hi there, thank you for pointing this out. Indeed it is an AMD video subject. I would appreciate if moved to video graphics.

Thanks for the link. I have checked it and I will run the process... however, the bios signature would be for the windows, the card still starting with black screen and only fall to what the link describes after the windows have started. Fixing the bios signature on the windows probably wont fix the card to start the computer without an extra card. I still believe that only the original bios would sort this out but I will do the steps from the link that you provided in first hour in the morning and post the result here, fingers crossed!:)

ITMtechnology, I asked a question in my first post and I think you might have missed it.

Thanks for the link. I have checked it and I will run the process... however, the bios signature would be for the windows, the card still starting with black screen and only fall to what the link describes after the windows have started. Fixing the bios signature on the windows probably wont fix the card to start the computer without an extra card. I still believe that only the original bios would sort this out but I will do the steps from the link that you provided in first hour in the morning and post the result here, fingers crossed!:)

Bad news, just complete the process and the only difference is that upon the desktop load just before GPU-z start the PC freezes for 20 seconds and then black screen, it unfreeze and displays the details as before , then it freezes again, another black screen and then the computer works fine. Bare in mind, the RX 570 doesn't start at boot, always requires other card. I restarted it a number of times and it always repeats the same issue, freezes twice after start before allowing to use the desktop. Tried to flash other bios but the problem still the same.

ITMtechnology, I asked a question in my first post and I think you might have missed it.

The issue isn't motherboards, as I have repeated the process a number of times on different mobos. When i meant ''flashed in 2 bios position'', means that both bios on the RX570 were deleted. The person responsible for the issue flashed the position one, ''quiet'' and as it didn't work at startup flipped to the other position and did the same stupid mistake again without first saving the bios. Based on this I can't know for sure what bios is the correct one for this card, that is why I checked the memories by removing the heatsink. all chips are SK hynix. Once again, there are no issues with mobo bios only with the GPU of RX570 4GB powercolor red dragon. If you are asking about something else, yeah I missed it.

The issue isn't motherboards, as I have repeated the process a number of times on different mobos. When i meant ''flashed in 2 bios position'', means that both bios on the RX570 were deleted. The person responsible for the issue flashed the position one, ''quiet'' and as it didn't work at startup flipped to the other position and did the same stupid mistake again without first saving the bios. Based on this I can't know for sure what bios is the correct one for this card, that is why I checked the memories by removing the heatsink. all chips are SK hynix. Once again, there are no issues with mobo bios only with the GPU of RX570 4GB powercolor red dragon. If you are asking about something else, yeah I missed it.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. So the card has dual bios. Some motherboards also have dual bios so I wasn't sure which component you were referring to.

Does sound like the video card's bioses are bricked.

Why were you trying to modify the bios in the first place? Were there problems with the card from factory that you were hoping would be corrected by a bios mod? Do modded bioses turn the card into a 580 class card or something like that?

Thanks, I had already downloaded that and it does the same. I think it is the bios that I found initially on the card. When the computer starts with the powercolor card it takes a bit longer to start. as if the card is interacting with the system. If I can't find the original bios it will be a lesson to stay away from Powercolor product from now on, no support at all, contacted them 4 times. Worse we have bought over 30 of this cards for our workstations. I am going to place stickers on each computer warning for the users to don't try to flash the bios. I had to fix other brands such as sapphire and msi, always great support from them, sent me all that I needed. Powercolor says the warrant if voided due bios flash but they have nothing on their website to help customers to repair the bios.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. So the card has dual bios. Some motherboards also have dual bios so I wasn't sure which component you were referring to.

Does sound like the video card's bioses are bricked.

Why were you trying to modify the bios in the first place? Were there problems with the card from factory that you were hoping would be corrected by a bios mod? Do modded bioses turn the card into a 580 class card or something like that?

The card bios were modified by one of the CAD engineers users or other staff, nobody claimed the responsibility for it so I am not sure what the person intended. We have Quadro cards and some GTX Nvidia, so there was no particular reason to update the GPU bios of this card. I am upset... to be more precisely annoyed as we just bought it. This is the first to go down without a way to claim a warrant. For a small company a wasted card hurts when we are trying to squeeze funds from all areas.

In terms of engineering, makes me annoyed to be in a complete puzzled situation. Card installs, detected by the system, can be flashed but yet no clocks or fill rate pixel. If it was drivers, the card would at least display at post, but it acts as if bricked at start and then signs of alive. I am not even worried about the money lost on it just want to understand what causes that. To be an engineer and not understand what makes something ticks is worse than being oblivious to something else.

I am hopping that someone that sort or found out the reason by having the same experience. To tell me what caused this; was it bad design, poor quality of this brand or just a missing bios that is specific for this card.

Last edited:
Seems you might be able to pull a working Bios from one of the working cards if they are the same make and model? Just a thought.

I have done that already, saved each bios from each other card, same issue... and worse if I install a bios from another card to one that are working it is like lottery, sometimes works and others doesn't. Some of the cards can take most of the bios that I have. On this occasion none of the other cards have a bios that works for this, as if it came from an small batch. The models for the other cards vary from RX 580, 4GB to 8GB and red devil. only 4 of them are RX 570 and their bios doesn't work on this card as their memory are not hynix.

TBH I think the card is bricked and not even the orig bios from Power Color will do any good, but if it were my card I wouldnt be giving up either. http://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd-ati/1604567-polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx.html has some good info and bios tools. In the later pages of the thread there is even a guy that will mod your bios to suit you and has posted a few. His didnt work for my card, but I still found good info for my RX card in that thread. Goood luck and let us know how it goes

TBH I think the card is bricked and not even the orig bios from Power Color will do any good, but if it were my card I wouldnt be giving up either. http://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd-ati/1604567-polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx.html has some good info and bios tools. In the later pages of the thread there is even a guy that will mod your bios to suit you and has posted a few. His didnt work for my card, but I still found good info for my RX card in that thread. Goood luck and let us know how it goes

I have done all the steps or used the tools from the link posted prior to this thread, what i would like at this point is to find out why the card allows the HD audio to be installed but not the pixel fillrate or access the memories as it shows on the files attached on the post above. Perhaps only powercolor or a user with a Hynix card with same model could send a bios in order to test. I sent the serial number to powercolor asking for a bios or info...pointless, not even an answer for days. Their policy seems to be like ''you buy and you are on your own, if we can see that you sneezed near to the card the warrant if voided and we would not offer a tissue so you could wipe it to prevent total loss''.

Not sure how you extraced the BIOS from the similar cards at work but I would do it through ATIflash, extracting the BIOS with GPUz isn't always the complete BIOS. I would also try flashing that BIOS to the card in DOS. Use the integrated graphics for the monitor and set up a bootable thumb drive to do the flash with ATIflash not in Windows.

Not sure how you extraced the BIOS from the similar cards at work but I would do it through ATIflash, extracting the BIOS with GPUz isn't always the complete BIOS. I would also try flashing that BIOS to the card in DOS. Use the integrated graphics for the monitor and set up a bootable thumb drive to do the flash with ATIflash not in Windows.

Yeah, I have flashed it in DOS, always do it this way to prevent it to being corrupted, usually windows freeze and gone. Powercolor never answered the contacts, I am at this point giving up on it. Next time I will stick with more popular brands as Sapphire or MSI.

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate all the effort from you and others.

Back