• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS detects my new HDD just fine, but Windows won't?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I just bought a Seagate Barracuda HDD a week or two ago and just now got around to putting it into my desktop. BIOS detects it just fine. Windows, however, won't show it as a drive no matter what I do. The little eject hardware icon shows up in the righthand corner of the taskbar, and it lists the Seagate drive for ejection. But other than that, Windows shows no sign of recognizing the drive at all in Windows Explorer. I'm kind of confused as to why my BIOS detects the drive but Windows doesn't? I tried plugging it into a different SATA port, using a different SATA cable, resetting my BIOS to the defaults to see if I had something configured in a way that caused the issue. Nothing worked. Anyone have an idea as to what's going on here? Defunct drive? Something to do with the board?

bob4933

^ to extrapolate on this..
open cmd in admin mode

type in "diskpart"

Type "list disk"

you will see a disk without a volume label, whatever number that is (0-X),

type "select disk X" (where "X" is the number of the drive)

type "assign letter=#" (where # is the letter you choose, assuming C is taken, D would be a normal selection)

and simply close out of command prompt.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
^ to extrapolate on this..
open cmd in admin mode

type in "diskpart"

Type "list disk"

you will see a disk without a volume label, whatever number that is (0-X),

type "select disk X" (where "X" is the number of the drive)

type "assign letter=#" (where # is the letter you choose, assuming C is taken, D would be a normal selection)

and simply close out of command prompt.

Can also use something most people are more comfortable with, Disk Management.
It's UI based making it (for some) easier to use.

Personally, I use diskpart though.

bob4933

Can also use something most people are more comfortable with, Disk Management.
It's UI based making it (for some) easier to use.

Personally, I use diskpart though.

Yeah, I've found that program to be nothing but a headache though. This is useful information for almost any scenario though! Good to learn if you ask me :)

OP
Vishera

Vishera

Well I feel stupid now. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

trents

Well I feel stupid now. Thanks guys.

Every brand new disk added to an existing system needs to be initialized and partitioned before Windows can see it. When the new disk is the system disk that you are installing windows on then this happens automatically during the installation process.