• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

¡Bios Flash Problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stalka

yo yo,

Im tring to flash my bios to that overclockable one that is talked about in the FAQ but im having trouble flashing it. i downloaded aminf329.exe (the bios flash prog) and i downloaded ovk7s5al.rom (the bios rom) but i have no floopy discs (i know haha) in the FAQ it said that u can put em on yer hd and remember where they are and start in a clean boot (safe mode) and then i start up dos and type in the flash prog name and it gets thro 2 things then it says "Error 2 - File does not exist" the file is kinda workin cux it gets like half way thro then gives me that error message. anyone had the same prob and has it fixed now or can anyone tell me wth i need to do... thanx

repo man11

It looks like your BIOS flash program is an executable. I think you have to run it in Windows. It probably has the flash program, a readme, etc. Once you have run this, the flash program should be loaded to the harddrive. The name will probably be amiflash, or something similar. That should be able to run. I don't think you can run executables under DOS.

repo man11

No, I'm wrong. That program is meant to be run in DOS. Are you sure you're typing the name of the BIOS file correctly? Does it start to run the flash program, then stop?

wildone

To flash a Bios you HAVE TO BE IN DOS ONLY!!!
And if you do it off your hdd you can really mess it up,also do you know that if you miss flash it your PC will no longer work at all?
you need a startup disk with the flash utility on it ,preferably a floppy ,but maybe a cdr would work ,I dunno I only use floppies.

wildone

repo man11

Is this BIOS from the ECs site, or somewhere else? I just dloaded an ECS bios, and they are zipped. You have to unzip them, and then save them to the same file as the flash utility.

repo man11

I guess that is a modded BIOS, whenI punch it into Google, mostly foreign sites come up. I did find an Italian site that had the DOS command line: c:\bios>aminf329.exe ovk7s5al.rom. This would be if you had saved the flash program and the BIOS file to your harddrive in a file named bios. I do think this would be easier if you had a floppy. I've allways used them to flash BIOS myself.

OP
S

Stalka

thats the problem i dont have a floppy im at my buddies house tring to OC my comp. i wanna do it by within an hour but that doesnt seem like its gunna happen... without a floppy heh. BTW what do u mean by save the flash and rom? i dont understand...

repo man11

When you're in DOS, and you type c: bios, you're telling it to open a folder named bios. If the ovk7s5al.rom file is somewhere else (another folder), it won't be able to find it. So to do this off of your harddrive, the flash utility and the BIOS file have to be in the same folder on your harddrive, and you have to know what that folder is called. That's one reason why it's easier off of a floppy, you know where it is, and if the utility can't find it, it's because you typed it in incorrectly, or it is corrupted.

repo man11

Go to your c drive, and create a new folder. Name it bios, and put the flash program, and the bios file in it. Then when you boot in DOS, that command line shown above should work. I think what happened before was that the flash utility couldn't find the file.

Tithulta

when I flashed my 2 boards(soon to be a 3rd) I used this

pop in a 3.5 floppy disk

go to my computer
open
click on the A: drive
format
copy system files

Ook now the disk is setup to recieve you bios updating files...
My flashing disk has these files on it

010814.rom
Command
drvspace.bin
F-010621
io.sys
msdos.sys

That's it..for my flashes back in Aug '01 and Oct '01
both my K7S5A's have LAN..both flashed without error.(make sure your set to boot from floppy)

To flash mine I shutdown
prayed
inserted my newly created "FLASH" disk
prayed
pressed power
prayed
DOS Prompt
prayed
A:\F-010621.exe 010814.rom
pressed ENTER
PRAYED HARDER
Pressed "Y"
PRAYED SOME MORE

Forget where it went from there, but you should be good to go...barring some error power failure in the middle of the Flash...that's NOT something you want to happen...AFAIK that totally kills the board, though I'd think you'd only need to order a replacement Bios chip...There is also a recovery disk you can make, but since I wasn't faced with needing it I don't know anything more about it.

Good Luck...for me this was how I flashed mine, yours should be somethign similar. good Luck....oh I said that already? Well your probably needing it fromt he looks of the previous posts ;)

OP
S

Stalka

Tithulta said:
when I flashed my 2 boards(soon to be a 3rd) I used this

pop in a 3.5 floppy disk

go to my computer
open
click on the A: drive
format
copy system files

Ook now the disk is setup to recieve you bios updating files...
My flashing disk has these files on it

010814.rom
Command
drvspace.bin
F-010621
io.sys
msdos.sys

That's it..for my flashes back in Aug '01 and Oct '01
both my K7S5A's have LAN..both flashed without error.(make sure your set to boot from floppy)

To flash mine I shutdown
prayed
inserted my newly created "FLASH" disk
prayed
pressed power
prayed
DOS Prompt
prayed
A:\F-010621.exe 010814.rom
pressed ENTER
PRAYED HARDER
Pressed "Y"
PRAYED SOME MORE

Forget where it went from there, but you should be good to go...barring some error power failure in the middle of the Flash...that's NOT something you want to happen...AFAIK that totally kills the board, though I'd think you'd only need to order a replacement Bios chip...There is also a recovery disk you can make, but since I wasn't faced with needing it I don't know anything more about it.

Good Luck...for me this was how I flashed mine, yours should be somethign similar. good Luck....oh I said that already? Well your probably needing it fromt he looks of the previous posts ;)

how did u get into DOS mode? what OS are u sportin? im having trouble getting into dos. i have win me can u help? ANYONE?!

repo man11

If you have a boot floppy, you set it to boot from drive A: in the BIOS. It will go straight to the A: prompt. Then you can type awardflash, and it'll run.

Tithulta

repo man11 said:
If you have a boot floppy, you set it to boot from drive A: in the BIOS. It will go straight to the A: prompt. Then you can type awardflash, and it'll run.

awardflash won't work with the K7S5A...it is an AMIbios chip...the K7S6A however IS an award bios.

As to my OS I'm using WIN98SE.

If your using WIN98SE then just follow my step by step procedure to create your flash disk(if you don't have a floppy disk then it is possible to do it from the HDD).

If your unsure how to get to DOS, then I "think" just rebooting to DOS will work, but I might be wrong on that.

However if you hit F8 during bootup you'll get to choose your startup mode. Select Command prompt and hit enter.

The easiest way to flash is using a diskette. Have you read the frontpage how-to article to Updating your Bios?

Here is the link to it if you haven't read it.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips120/index04.asp