• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios hangs on 'detecting IDE drives..'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SenorBeef

I'm running an nf7-s 2.0. I have an 75 gxp IBM 30 gig drive that I haven't used in a while, but I needed to use it lately. I think I tested it as working about a month ago, but I'm not sure on that (I have 2 drives, could've been the other).

Anyway, my 2 other drives will get detected and boot right up, but if I hook this one up (in any combination with the other 2 drives), the bios hangs on 'detecting IDE drives...'

This drive seemed to be in fine shape the last time I played with it, so I'm hoping it isn't dead. Is there anything you guys can think of that I can do to make it work? I tried playing around with the jumpers - master, cable select, no jumpers - and trying different wires to no effect.

Just to be sure, jumpers can face either direction, right?

Oh, also - I have been trying to get the drive to work with the p-ata to s-ata converters and failed - neither of my IBMs work with that setup - and I've been yanking out power cords, jumpers, and the ide connector a decent bit. Could I have broken something?

Any suggestions as to what I could do/try would be appreciated...

SenorBeef said:

Anyway, my 2 other drives will get detected and boot right up, but if I hook this one up (in any combination with the other 2 drives), the bios hangs on 'detecting IDE drives...'

well, im sure you already know this, but incase you dont. im not sure if this is what youre doing or not, but you cant put 3 harddrives on one ide channel. try just using it by itself if you havent already

I had that problem also. You have an Nforce2 chipset, right? I just booted from cd, and reformatted, and it works fine. Have you tried just using this one in one channel, and only have that one drive hooked up?

Yes, I've tried it with just that drive hooked up.

Odd that you could format and get it to work - I mean, the bios isn't affected at all as far as I know by formatting.

I'd guess probably have a bad drive. Try it on another board and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, try debugging the hard drive to wipe it. If it still does, I'd say the drive is toast.

Can't debug the drive, because I can't get past the bios screen and boot.

I suppose the drive may be dead, but it was working before and nothing happened since. Sigh.

try using cable select instead of specifying master or slave. My WD120 SE wouldnt detect either, or atleast it took a LONG time untill i set it to cable select.

Cable select requires a special cable, however and most cables you buy or that come with the drives are NOT cable select cables.

Back