• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios sees all but one drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

actionpie42

Registered
Hello everyone

Today I was adding in an older 320gb samsung hdd to clean it off and start using it. The bios has and does find my Samsung 640gb drive just fine. the drive in question did work on the first couple of boots but it stopped seeing it altogether. I am leaning toward the idea it probably went bad finally since I've attempted to try both different sata data and power conections (Both from the working drive) I'm not certain however because the drive does power up and spin. Anyone have any ideas? Or is it still probably dead Regardless of it responding to power?

Thanks everyone!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Only way to find out really is to try it in another PC... but I would think its done since it already worked and you tried it in know good ports with known good cables.

Mighty_Miro_WD

Western Digital Representative
Hi @actionpie42!

I agree with @EarthDog here - try to plug it in a different computer and see if it will show up. If it's recognized, then make a backup of the most important data and run a diagnostic test on it after that to see if any errors or bad sectors will be detected.

You can use some third party HDD diagnostic apps, but first check if there is an official tool in the manufacturers website you can download since an official program will be tuned to the specific firmware of the drive.

Hope this helps and let us know how it went. :)