• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bit of a Long Shot--Best Cooling for Q6600 in an HP DX2300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SamirD

Registered
Upgrading an older system and unfortunately the stock cooler can't handle the TDP of a q6600. The stock HP part that can is almost $20 for which I'm sure I can get a much better cooling solution. Actually acquired a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, but it didn't fit in the case (didn't measure before purchasing :().

I've noticed some designs that aren't a tower style cooler, but I'm not sure how large these get in terms of the fan as there's not too much room in the case (it is a mid-tower). And I haven't bought a cpu cooler for 20 years now so I'm not really sure which would be the best quality or bang for the buck.

Here's what the board looks like (linked these to an ebay listing for one). When installed, the power supply is to the left of the cpu:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Any suggestions appreciated. :thup:

is that a 80 or 92mm fan on that hsf? looks like an 80 but i cant tell for sure.
edit
your best bet is to measure your dimensions and do a search according to those. get both metric and inches when you look. also try itx or small form factor coolers. how close is the psu to the side of your mb?

Last edited:
is that a 80 or 92mm fan on that hsf? looks like an 80 but i cant tell for sure.
edit
your best bet is to measure your dimensions and do a search according to those. get both metric and inches when you look. also try itx or small form factor coolers. how close is the psu to the side of your mb?

It's a 80mm stock HP cooler. That's why I posted what the OP will need that will fit. I had the same issue with the same exact junkbox setup I was fixing for an elderly neighbor that just read the news and email.

That's way too big and won't fit.

Your best bet would a downward firing heatsink almost like the original. Something like the stock 775 Intel cooler with the copper slug.

Stock Intel Copper Slug Cooler
That originally was what I was thinking, or to just get the HP part for a few bucks more. But with a difference in price of only a few dollars between those two options and one that can handle even more heat, I was thinking why not get a better cooler--especially one that can later on mount to an lga1133 or something.

- - - Updated - - -

edit
I believe it is 80mm. It's that original stock size of fan back in the day before there were larger sizes of fans. :D

Power supply pretty much starts where the board ends, so there's not much room for an overhanging style cooler, but I'm sure there's one out there that will fit, hence why I'm asking. :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, but the specs don't say it supports lga755. :(

- - - Updated - - -

It's a 80mm stock HP cooler. That's why I posted what the OP will need that will fit. I had the same issue with the same exact junkbox setup I was fixing for an elderly neighbor that just read the news and email.
What processor did he have in that one and what form factor? Did you look into any other coolers besides a stock one?

Mine is a mid-tower so it has a bit of room for sure, hence why I thought the hyper 212 plus was going to fit. It's actually only too tall by an inch.

That originally was what I was thinking, or to just get the HP part for a few bucks more. But with a difference in price of only a few dollars between those two options and one that can handle even more heat, I was thinking why not get a better cooler--especially one that can later on mount to an lga1133 or something.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe it is 80mm. It's that original stock size of fan back in the day before there were larger sizes of fans. :D

Power supply pretty much starts where the board ends, so there's not much room for an overhanging style cooler, but I'm sure there's one out there that will fit, hence why I'm asking. :thup:

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, but the specs don't say it supports lga755. :(

- - - Updated - - -

What processor did he have in that one and what form factor? Did you look into any other coolers besides a stock one?

Mine is a mid-tower so it has a bit of room for sure, hence why I thought the hyper 212 plus was going to fit. It's actually only too tall by an inch.

hsf.JPG

@ op How much room do you have ?
Unfortunately, I'm not near the system so I can't measure.

But from what I recall about the Hyper 212 Plus and it's specs, it has a height of 158mm and it was too big by an inch or two so 158-25.4-25.4=107.2-120mm height max.

- - - Updated - - -

The specs page doesn't list lga755: :confused:

It's too tall though even though it's a beauty.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to see if I can get the case dimensions from the service manual or a spec sheet. Stand by.

From one of the specsheets I've downloaded on it:
Chassis Dimensions
(H x W x D)
13.90 x 6.89 x 16.38 in (353 x 175 x 416 mm)

The service manual here shows the exact layout on page 59:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00859654

The rear case fan is 92mm, but it does appear that the cpu one is 80mm.

ugh there just isnt much room for anything. there are so many objects right next to the cpu area.
heres a 80mm tower type
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VlUoNCh1AYAcVEAQYAiABEgJeaPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
if you have some high cfm 80mm fans to hook up to it...of course, i JUST 2 days ago threw out a friggin box full of 20 or 30 80mm sunon HIGH cfm fans. the cut your finger off kind. they would have been perfect hooked up to a fan controller.

heres one that may work. its 92mm tho.
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/hyper-series/hyper-t2.html

Last edited:
ugh there just isnt much room for anything. there are so many objects right next to the cpu area.
heres a 80mm tower type
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VlUoNCh1AYAcVEAQYAiABEgJeaPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
if you have some high cfm 80mm fans to hook up to it...of course, i JUST 2 days ago threw out a friggin box full of 20 or 30 80mm sunon HIGH cfm fans. the cut your finger off kind. they would have been perfect hooked up to a fan controller.

heres one that may work. its 92mm tho.
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/hyper-series/hyper-t2.html
Yeah, it's a bit of a tight squeeze for sure. I actually shut off the pwm capability in the bios to keep the fans floored as the gpu I put in there was having some heat issues. I rdp into the system so I don't hear a thing. :D

I think that newegg design has a pretty good shot at working, although I'd rather find a different company to buy it from (not worried about newegg, but the 'real' company selling it). I wonder if phanteks or someone else makes something like that.

Yeah I saw that coolermaster design, but I think the 140mm tower is going to be the dealbreaker. :(

Wow, this is much harder than I thought! I thought you guys were going to rattle off 100 different options right off the bat. ;) I'm going to keep digging and if anyone knows of something besides the basic cooler that will work, I'm open to checking it out. :)

For what that Q6600 will be doing on the low budget board, a stock Intel 775 cooler will do just fine plus be cheap. I put one on an E8400 for the neighbor's build and it's still going strong. No ocing options so stock is more than enough.

For what that Q6600 will be doing on the low budget board, a stock Intel 775 cooler will do just fine plus be cheap. I put one on an E8400 for the neighbor's build and it's still going strong. No ocing options so stock is more than enough.
I've started leaning back to getting an oem hp one since I wouldn't have to mess with taking the board out and changing the bracket. It should be enough for it, but I can't seem to find the genuine hp part number that's listed in the service documents. I keep running across this guy that looks almost identical to the one I have except it seems to have a copper base. Do you think it would suffice?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DX2300-...QIAAOSw8A1aaM6a:sc:USPSFirstClass!35613!US!-1

Sure, that will work just fine too.
Thank you. When I get back to where the system is at, I'll check to make sure I don't already have this heatsink (which would be nice), but I believe I recall it just being aluminum. I'll post an update when I get back to working on it. Thank you again for all the responses. :)

What about the old school zalman flower heat sinks like the Zalman CNPS7000 or CNPS8900 Or one of the newer ones like the CNPS2X Mini with an adapter plate?

Back