• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bix2 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thorilan

this is the first time i have seen the bix2 and was wondering if anyone has one and can tell me how is it and how about mounting because if i got one i would proby wanna put 2-3 low speed papst fans on it but might have to custome make a shroud

http://dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/radiators.asp

BIX2_small.png

grunjee

This must be brand new, unless I'm just out of the loop.

I think it looks sweet. I'd love to try it out but at $102 I'll wait for some reviews.

Dang man I really want to know how it performs. Someone call BillA :D

OP
thorilan

thorilan

2-pass Double-row Low Pressure Drop Radiator specifically developed for PC Watercooling based on the new high-performance Black Ice Xtreme design.
Xtreme performance: rated for 1580KCal per hour (6270 BTU per hour).
Double Row 240 mm (9.44 inch) Copper core consisting of flat tubes for maximum heat conductivity
High-density louvered copper fin configuration for enhanced heat dissipation.
Built-in plenum chamber for increased performance and noise reduction.
Self-tapping and case mounting holes for easy installation of 120mm fans.
Now with 12.5 mm (1/2 inch) pre-angled inlet/outlet barbed hose connectors.
Optimal 273.4 x 133 x 45 mm (10.75 x 5.25 x 1.77 inch) dimensions allows it to fit inside most mid-tower cases.
Designed to meet the performance demands of hardcore Xtreme PC watercooling enthusiasts.
quted from the system specs on it . now if it holds anywhere near true thats roughly double the transfer of a bix1 for a proportionate size increase which i am hesitant to believe

tediber

i got 1 for about $80 but then again they are made here. it's awesome ..... but a big case is necessary

ohalexis

Registered
I took a look at its dimensions and found out the width are exactly 5.25'', so I think it is ok to put it in the upper 5.25'' drive bays,so we don't really need a big case here.

I'm in the process of buying one,it's great if you have any info about it.

Cathar

Xtreme performance: rated for 1580KCal per hour (6270 BTU per hour).

6270 BTU/hr is 1837 Wh, or more commonly summarised to 1837W.

It's important here to realise that we're talking about that occurring at around 100C (212F) water temperatures in a 20C (70F) room.

If I'm wrong, then I'd be happy to be corrected and have explained under what exact circumstances that the 1837Wh rating was determined, and what the air-water differential is, the flow rate, and the exact fans/air-flow setup used to achieve that.

Remember, marketing calls for the best possible numbers to be reported, while omitting the abject horror under which those numbers could possibly be true (100C water with screaming fans loud enough to wake the dead).

grunjee

Cathar said:

Remember, marketing calls for the best possible numbers to be reported, while omitting the abject horror under which those numbers could possibly be true (100C water with screaming fans loud enough to wake the dead).

:eek:

Thanks for the insight :D

therudyq3

ohalexis said:
I took a look at its dimensions and found out the width are exactly 5.25'', so I think it is ok to put it in the upper 5.25'' drive bays,so we don't really need a big case here.

I'm in the process of buying one,it's great if you have any info about it.

If you put it in a bay, where and how would the fan(s) be mounted??

frankly, you can get a Chevy Caprice radiator for around $20. The dimension is almost the same..it's alittle wider at 5 3/4" and about 10 1/2 long at 2" thick.

Cathar

grunjee said:

:eek:

Thanks for the insight :D

This doesn't mean that the BIX2 isn't a decent radiator, it just means that the heat dissipation ratings should be taken with a grain of salt the size of Mt. Everest in terms of their applicability to any real world computing setup.

Animal982

I might be mistaken but I believe BillA has this radiator and will be reviewing it along with the entire line of Thermochill radiators ( http://www.thermochill.com ). He stated on the Procooling site that his review should be posted on Overclockers sometime within a few weeks.

ohalexis

Registered
therudyq3 said:

If you put it in a bay, where and how would the fan(s) be mounted??

frankly, you can get a Chevy Caprice radiator for around $20. The dimension is almost the same..it's alittle wider at 5 3/4" and about 10 1/2 long at 2" thick.

Since it has holes for mounting 2 120mm fans on both side,I would mount 2 fans on the back side pulling air through from my top blowhole,do you think that'll work?

tediber

you would need a big case in the sense that if you put it in a 4bay-case ...... it'd occupy already 2 drive bays it and the fans unless you want the fans outside on top of your casing ...... i'm looking for a big big big case to fit it well ...

tediber

i plan to attach the radiator to the top of the casing (top drivebay) ..... so basically the grill of the radiator is "displayed" =)

and 2 120mm fans attach to the radiator (below the rad pulling air in)

StinkyPete

Registered
Well I'm happy with mine, but as this is my first WC rig I really have nothing to compare it to... Same CPU as old system - Switched to A7N8X rev 2, should be simular - same vcore...

AreoFlow -> 40C
WC wBIX2 -> 32C

--Pete

tediber

wow first time WC ....... awesome first choice i'd say hehehe BIX2 ..... my first one is a black ice pro .... w/c i think i'm gonna transfer to cooling the GPU

tediber

i haven't gotten around to installing the BIX2 yet ..... does using 2x120mm at low speed ...... will these be less noisy than just 1 at full speed ........ i also got a nexus fan controller so i can tune down the 120mm fans

StinkyPete

Registered
tediber said:
i haven't gotten around to installing the BIX2 yet ..... does using 2x120mm at low speed ...... will these be less noisy than just 1 at full speed ........ i also got a nexus fan controller so i can tune down the 120mm fans
tediber, I'm using the SunBeam controller, nice & quiet. I've got 4 120's in a push pull. But what I'm NOT doing is attaching them directly to the BIX2... I've read that a shroud not only improves cooling, but reduces noise. I made this to go with my setup.

08-Shroud2.jpg

Here it is running:

20-WaterTest4.jpg

Good Luck,
--Pete

tediber

nice setup !! i think people use shrouds because their fans aren't the same size as the radiator ......

anyway that is truly awesome 4x120mm fans hehehe