• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black ice micro in paralell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tehnull

I was thinking on ways to water cool this stock antec case Here
Without breaking out the dremel. Does anyone know whether or not I would be able to fit 2 black ice micro radiators either on the front 2 fan intakes or the rear exhausts? Also does anyone know where I could get 3/8" to 1/2" Y fittings? If I could find a couple of those I'd be able to run the rads in paralell thus decreasing the effects on flow of the 3/8" fittings on those radiators. Also does anyone know the amount of heat these radiators can dissapate in watts?

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
You should be able to find 3/8" to 1/2" couplers at most places like Home Depot, etc. In fact, if you just got a 1/2" coupler, your 1/2" tubing would fit and the 3/8" would stretch over it.

With that case you'd probably have an easier time (and get slightly better temps) if you put the BIM's on the intake (front) side.

Not sure how much they dissapate in watts.

Korndog

uh.. that case has fan clips, you won't be able to attach anything bigger then 80mmx25mm(wide).
i guess you could remove that clips and attach them with bolts or something.. too much trouble if you ask me, and too expensive.
i know i'm going off topic here, but you might want to imitate everyone here, just get a regular size, cheap heatcore, or BIX regular sized and remove your front bay, which a simple small bit drill.
oh which reminds me, there are bay 'supports' in the front of that case, when you take off the removable 3.5" bays, you could place the micros on there, but it would leave you with no 3.5" space, which makes my suggestion a better alternative.. :)

iNSiGMA

Korndog said:
uh.. that case has fan clips, you won't be able to attach anything bigger then 80mmx25mm(wide).
i guess you could remove that clips and attach them with bolts or something.. too much trouble if you ask me, and too expensive.
i know i'm going off topic here, but you might want to imitate everyone here, just get a regular size, cheap heatcore, or BIX regular sized and remove your front bay, which a simple small bit drill.
oh which reminds me, there are bay 'supports' in the front of that case, when you take off the removable 3.5" bays, you could place the micros on there, but it would leave you with no 3.5" space, which makes my suggestion a better alternative.. :)

I told you they'd come tehnull...

Korndog

iNSiGMA said:

I told you they'd come tehnull...

hey hey, i didn't flame now.
it was merly a suggestion, i don't want anyone to be disappointed after they've spent 80+ on radiators.
i was considering the micros at one point too, but when i couldn't fit a 80x30mm fan on the clips it became quiet obvious that i would have some trouble with the micros if i didn't decide to get them. Even the holes that are left after removing the mounting gear are hard to work with. Although with a little modifications you can get it to work, with a little mondification you can get many things to work, but from what i understood, that was least favored option...

OP
T

tehnull

So its pretty much Heater core or bust then. How would a double sized heater core like they have at dangerden work at the top of my case? I measured it out and it barely fits but some of the hc will be sitting in a 21/8" gap between my power supply and the top of the case so no ventilation. Will I still get better performance with a dual fan hc with only one fan?

E-Licious

tehnull said:
So its pretty much Heater core or bust then. How would a double sized heater core like they have at dangerden work at the top of my case? I measured it out and it barely fits but some of the hc will be sitting in a 21/8" gap between my power supply and the top of the case so no ventilation. Will I still get better performance with a dual fan hc with only one fan?

I think that's a very bad idea. You say you have a stock case right? So no blowhole(s) at the top of the case? Well if you put your heatercore up there, all the hot air from the case will be sitting in that area as well, and with no ventilation, this is only going to make the heatercore not work properly. And with no blowhole, your fan is going to be pushing against a wall, so you'll get barely any airflow either. I don't think this will work they way you hope.

Lord09

BillA, I saw that pic before too, I wanted to setup a case exactly like that, acrylic and all.

Unfortunately, I just bought a MCW5002 block, and it looks like I'd have to use 3/8 tubing to accomodate the rads. What would a mixture of tubing do to flow and performance?

Also, does anyone know if any performance information was published for that seutp?

It seems like no one here uses dual MCR80/Micro BIX rads or a single dual Micro BIX.

DP

OP
T

tehnull

Well as far as the radiator in the top of the case goes I was talking about cutting a hole for 2 120mm fans in the top of the case and having them pulling air in. I was wondering whether the clode proximity to the power supply would have any ill effects on performance because by my measurements about 3 inches of the Heater core would be sitting on top of the power supply. BillA are there any benchmarks or stats for that box that you linked me to? I'd like to see what kind of temps they are getting with a set up like that.

E-Licious

tehnull said:
Well as far as the radiator in the top of the case goes I was talking about cutting a hole for 2 120mm fans in the top of the case and having them pulling air in. I was wondering whether the clode proximity to the power supply would have any ill effects on performance because by my measurements about 3 inches of the Heater core would be sitting on top of the power supply. BillA are there any benchmarks or stats for that box that you linked me to? I'd like to see what kind of temps they are getting with a set up like that.

I'm having a hard time following your planned setup here. You want to drill a hole for 2 fans, yet you say you only want to use 1 fan. Also, blowholes work really well because they take all the hot air that's collecting up there, out of the case. You want an intake at the top of your case? I'm not sure how well that's gonna work out. But maybe I've got the wrong idea here.

BillA

choke man
Lord09 said:
BillA, I saw that pic before too, I wanted to setup a case exactly like that, acrylic and all.

Unfortunately, I just bought a MCW5002 block, and it looks like I'd have to use 3/8 tubing to accomodate the rads. What would a mixture of tubing do to flow and performance?

Also, does anyone know if any performance information was published for that seutp?

It seems like no one here uses dual MCR80/Micro BIX rads or a single dual Micro BIX.

DP
I quizzed Gabe and he said:
"I like the setup so much I took it home.

My 2.8 P4 O/C'd to 3.450 @ 1.7V hovers between 28 and 33C at idle and will not exceed 42C under load. Noise wise, it is by far the quietest system I have built, with the cooling system fan noise below that of the Enermax 650Watts running at the lowest fan speed."

I would add that a plastic case is always more silent than a metal one due to its better sound/vibration dampening characteristics.

be cool