• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black monitor screens / tower fans crank to high / must hit psu switch to turn o

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From the images you attached it is clear that you are running your memory at a slower speed than it is rated for.

If you look at the Memory tab in CPU-z your will see that you are currently running your RAM at a bus speed of 1200 mhz. Double that to get the actual DDR (Double Data Rate) speed which would be 2400 mhz. CPU-z does not report the DDR speed so you have to double it in your head to get the actual operating frequency.

On the other hand, the SPD tab reports that your RAM has an XMP rating of 3200 mhz (1600 doubled). You should be running it at the XMP speed to get the best performance. Ryzen performance is very dependent on RAM speed. In your bios there is a section for Memory frequency and you should choose the XMP option.

Having said all that, this change may not have any impact on your presenting problem but it might. Wouldn't hurt to set the memory voltage manually to 1.35 just to be sure it's getting what it's supposed to.

I apologize for not getting back to you when I said I would... ever since I changed the setting for the RAM, everything has been running perfectly. I’ve ran multiple games on the highest settings, had multiple programs open while playing games on highest settings, and even completed some college work without my computer doing its crashing thing like it used to. Changing the RAM frequency and voltage seemed to do the trick! Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!

You are most welcome.

I cringe when I read reviews on NewEgg and Amazon by inexperienced builders who think just because they buy high speed RAM and plug it that the motherbaord should automatically configure the RAM frequency for that amount. And then they complain about the motherboard being defective. That is very unfair to the manufacturer and unnecessarily gives them a bad name.

You are most welcome.

I cringe when I read reviews on NewEgg and Amazon by inexperienced builders who think just because they buy high speed RAM and plug it that the motherbaord should automatically configure the RAM frequency for that amount. And then they complain about the motherboard being defective. That is very unfair to the manufacturer and unnecessarily gives them a bad name.

I can imagine so! I personally thought it had been something I did wrong while building the PC, or that I had downloaded something with a virus attached to it. I’m glad it was neither one of those!

Back