• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black scratches in Dragothic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strangeBrew

Registered
Im new to this ocing thing and i am starting with the video card. So far I can only hit 304/567 without getting black scratches in the dragothic portion of 3dmark2001 se (13008). I noticed ppl are clocking much higher even as high as 315/690. Are these padded to waht will simply pass a single loop, regardless of the appearance, or clean runs? BTW I cant find too many others with the chaintech flavor of this card. (Admit, I bought it for the pretty gold heat sink+ fan.) Is there any thing else i could do to hit higher memory bandwith?
See sig for specs

...heard of ppl getting white dots, but not black scrathes.
Are these common?

Thx
Oh... and I am using det 40.72

Last edited:

o770

thats a nice card.
the correct procedure is first to find out whats the highest clock you get for core OR mem, then starting raising the other.
common problems are artifacts (like the ones youre probably getting), lockups and distorted colors in stuff like fog and light reflections.
so try setting core clock to default and check if mem is the cause (i beleive so).

i also beleive that many scores you see in gamershq (madonion) are non-stable scores, and many are due to extremely optimized driver settings like the LOD BIAS for instance.
once youve found out what are the highest clock you get for both core and mem, only thing to do in order to improve any of them is about better cooling.

o770

i got some reviews of your card that might be of some help. in one of them (http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/gt21/ti4200_2.htm) the guy says "there is more than adequate thermal compound applied on the core" while the other review (http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/vga/chaintechti4200/2.shtml) says its not that adequate actually.
even yet the card overclocks really well.

it seems to me that the mem clock youre getting is good. you can compare it with the card in the reviews: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=333&dPage=11, http://www.bench-house.com/article.php?oliver=253&sid=103&pop=DoP&form22=+Go!+.

you can still try applying AS3.
you gotta remove the push pins holding the core sink.
in my opinion, its just not worth replacing the sinks, maybe just the AS3. you can also make sure that the ramsinks are sitting fine.

OP
strangeBrew

strangeBrew

Registered
Wow, that was great stuff. I appreciate the links.
Ramsinks look like the're flush. I'll try the artic silver after I find my cards peak to see if there is any difference.

TY! been a great help

asw7576

Lets call the black scratch artifacts. This is the right dictionary for black scratch.

Congrats on your High OC: 315/690 !!!
Very good result coz mine sucked up at 320/570..... damn...

Wommalong

asw7576 said:
Lets call the black scratch artifacts. This is the right dictionary for black scratch.

Congrats on your High OC: 315/690 !!!
Very good result coz mine sucked up at 320/570..... damn...

Black scratches in Dragothic
Im new to this ocing thing and i am starting with the video card. So far I can only hit 304/567 without getting black scratches in the dragothic portion of 3dmark2001 se (13008). I noticed ppl are clocking much higher even as high as 315/690. Are these padded to waht will ...

???
;)

takiwa

...heard of ppl getting white dots, but not black scrathes.
Are these common?...Oh... and I am using det 40.72
different systems, cards, and the fact that you are using a BETA driver will result in different types of artifacts, or tearing problems...which is what those marks are...
So far I can only hit 304/567 without getting black scratches in the dragothic portion of 3dmark2001 se (13008). I noticed ppl are clocking much higher even as high as 315/690.
It depends on the manufacturer of your card, and what kind of memory they used, the thermal compound and cooler they used, your system's AGP voltage...several things determine how far a given card will o/c, and no two cards are the same. You have a very nice o/c for that card, though :)
Are these padded to waht will simply pass a single loop, regardless of the appearance, or clean runs?
Different people do different benches, but most people are concerned with a STABLE bench (at least on our team). This means one that will run 3DMark through all the tests, and do it consistantly. That is why we have two different catagories, one for Standard scores (stable) and one for Non-Standard scores (not proven to be stable). Most of the top scores on the ORB fall into the second catagory. That is why I feel like our db is a much more accurate representation of a card's performance on a day-to-day basis...while the ORB shows what a card's maximum performance can be...

OP
strangeBrew

strangeBrew

Registered
Takiwa,
thx for the tips. I was getting the same artifacts with the 30.82 drivers, hoping that the betas would fix it. I definately prefer stability over a peak to get a high score. I also saw a suicide run. Is that where you would clock it so high you know it will lock up? Thx for the info...
asw7576,
Thx for the terminology tip, guess thats part of the learning process.

takiwa

do you get those same black streaks when you game, or in any of the other tests, or is it just in Dragothic?

OP
strangeBrew

strangeBrew

Registered
There was a scene in GTA3 (also night time and fog situation) that I noticed them slightly. I applied some as3, and that made no difference with the artifacts but I am sure it is a little more cool, although I have no temp device to back up my theory.

takiwa

have you played with all the driver settings? Does it do it with Fog Table support enabled AND disabled? Or any other settings? What clock/mem setting does it begin to show at?

OP
strangeBrew

strangeBrew

Registered
Have not tried to tweak any of the driver settings, but i'll try those tonight when i get home. They start to appear if I set either of the two higher than 304/567. Like i said earlier I'm new to this, so i do not have much experienced in tweaking the drivers, but I'll sure play with it. Any suggestions? Or can I use riva tuner to do that?

o770

get rivatuner and forget about trying to fix that with the driver settings. that happens because you got to the limit of either the core and mem.
you may not see that with some other 3d app, but that still means that the card is not stable.

another driver version could well fix that, but this seems not to be your case.

OP
strangeBrew

strangeBrew

Registered
Alright,
For now I have turned it down a notch to 300/560, even more stable. I was just seeing how much I could push it without making very many physical changes before experimenting with other things.

...Time to start reading on.

Thanks again to all that have helped------ :->