• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blackice big enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentq232

Well I want to cool my gf3 ti200 and my athlon xp 1600 @ 1.63ghz and hopefully overclock a bit more.

I was hoping it would be good enough to cool very well when combined with a german gpu and cpu block with my eheim 1048.

german blocks here www.aqua-computer.de

they seem to perform pretty well, although no direct comparison to american blocks.

Size is a concern for me definately as I was hoping to mount it in case. I will also be using the resivour from that site also.

*edit also I would like to use low noise 120mm fans (like the 30dba panaflo's).
Probably would mount the black ice on the right side of my antec sx1040 (if your looking at the front). I would probably have 1 intake 120mm 1 exhaust 120mm then 1 120mm exhausting out the right side sucking air off the radiator.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
It should work just fine. The origional BlackIce Prime would do 418 watts, much more than a o'clocked cpu and graphics card.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
The Big Momma heatercore was the only one I've ever seen a rating for, and given that it was a smaller one (6"x7"x2"), it did over 1,000 watts, if memory serves correct.
But, space is a premium in many cases, so the Black Ice will always be a good alternative.

Barryng

I just ordered a Black Ice Prime but I do not understand the 418 watt rating. It would seem to me that any rating would also have to be specified with a minumum air flow. The "average" temp difference between the cooled fluid and the air would also seem to be a part of this rating. Without knowing these supporting details, how do we know that the Black Ice Prime really does have this capability with the flows and temperatures we can expect in a typical application? In other words, any heat exchanger can remove any amount of heat under any condition if the temperature difference becomes sufficiently high.

rivercom9

In practice, about how much more performance would be expected from the heatercore than from the Black Ice Prime?

What about the BlackIce Extreme?

The Overclocker

wow - i have just had a look at the blocks, they are very nice looking, and look like they will work quite well. the black ice is probably the best small radiator, and it does work very well. however if you can find room for a heatercore get it, the difference in price and preformance is huge.

Robbiem01

if you need a case bigger then they sell you could always build one. I'm planning on building one this summer.

No, I showered
A heater core probably WILL do somewhat better.

The wattage ratings given for those heater cores is probably a maximum. Just like with heatsinks, increasing the airflow tends to give diminishing returns, especially with a well desgined one. That's why the 60+CFM deltas only cool a couple of degrees better than, say, a 35 or so CFM fan that's much quieter. Beyond a certain point, increasing airflow across the radiator only helps a little, as long as all of it's surface is already being used.

And for anyone interested in the aquacomputer.de stuff, Danny at Dtek Customs is in talks with them about being a distributor over here in the states. He said the talks are going well and looking good. I believe the main thing now is getting things like shipping, etc. worked out.

Robbiem01

I need to get an entire watercooling setup (I dont have anything right now) for $150 or under if possible. I was looking for places to cut money and I saw this http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/7/24.htm?392 for $30 instead of the $70 I was going to spend on a black ice. Should i get the one linked above for $30 or would it really be worth my money to get a black ice original ($50) or even a black ice xtream ($70.) I dont want to have to upgrade soon but if I dont cut some prices somewhere i wont be able to buy anything.

Heres my current wish list setup:
*Geminii Waterblock (240gph-($35) or 240gph($40)
*Eheim 1048 waterpump $57
*Silicone 1/2" or 3/8" tubing $5-10
*4"x4"x4" plastic project box from Home Depot for use as a reservior. $5-10
*I need a heatercore or radiator of some sort too.
------------------
Toltal w/o heatercore = $110 or so + shipping

Hmm ... I just thought of something ... maybe I can make a heatercore to use untill I can afford to buy one. Would some coppter tubing in a spiral work if a 120mm fan was blowing on it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barryng

I only have limited experience with water cooling so please consider others opinions. I am using a Black Ice Prime mounted in the lower front of my case. A 120mm fan draws air in and over the radiator. It is then exhausted out of the case by the power supply and rear 80mm exhaust fan.

The capacity of the cooling system exceeds the heat input from the CPU (1.8Gig Northwood at 2.1 Gig) by such a great margin that there is no readily noticeable temperature rise across the radiator. I am sure there must be one but it is certainly not easily noticeable. It does not appear to me that there will be any easily measurable increase in case temps by drawing air into the case through the radiator. Also, The CPU temp is almost always between 105 and 110 degrees F and sometimes spikes at 117 degress F.

In other words. it appears to me that it does not much matter what radiator is used because the heat transfer capability of even the smaller devices is so great.

No, I showered
I think you'd be fine with the dtek heater core, Robbie. I would suggest getting the shroud, though. You don't have to, but it probably will help the cooling performance by getting rid of the dead zone under the center of the fan.

Robbiem01

you mean a shroud like this? It costs $20 all by itself. Would I be better off getting the dtec heatercore with the $20 shroud or just getting a black ice heatercore then maybe getting a shroud for that a few months later? How many *C do you think a shroud should help? Thanks for all the help. I'm new to this watercooling stuff but I think i'm learing fast ... ofcourse anyone can with a great forum like this!

No, I showered
Robbiem01 said:
you mean a shroud like this? It costs $20 all by itself. Would I be better off getting the dtec heatercore with the $20 shroud or just getting a black ice heatercore then maybe getting a shroud for that a few months later? How many *C do you think a shroud should help? Thanks for all the help. I'm new to this watercooling stuff but I think i'm learing fast ... ofcourse anyone can with a great forum like this!

Yes, like that. If you see, you'll find that he's got a combo kit of the shroud and radiator for less than the price of the two of the separately.

I talked to Danny for you last night. I told him that you were trying to buy a kit and trying to figure out what you can shave off to get it into your $150 price range. He told me to have you email him and tell him that I sent you about this and he'd work out a deal with you on a full kit.