• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blade runner finally devised a H2o 8500 cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Heres a pic of the Memory cooler, amazing how he bypassed that capacitor (this is just a teaser Pic he sent me)

r8500csmall.jpg

Remember when Blade made this
asusv8200watercooled2small.jpg

Link to Blade's Dead Fan Zone

:rolleyes:

PS I would award Blade the Overclockers Macgyvers Trophy, except he is Overclocker's Macgyver himself :p

Last edited:
OMG I can't wait to see what he has in store for us... I've been drueling over his work since I first saw it 3 months ago...

Bladerunner is a God... let there be no doubt about that. I reference his work quite often to help with the GF3 block i'm making myself... BTW... Sam... I'm gonna need to discuss something with you about that... you know what I need ;)

those are nice.. altho ud need a massive rad to kill all the heat, esp if you had your NB/CPU WC'd..
im gonna WC my gpu soon, but i think the memory is a lil overkill unless the water was very cool.

Dissolved said:
those are nice.. altho ud need a massive rad to kill all the heat, esp if you had your NB/CPU WC'd..
im gonna WC my gpu soon, but i think the memory is a lil overkill unless the water was very cool.

Check out Blade's site... he has what he referred to as "the Bomb". It's a tank that's underground... keeping the water cool and acting as a res.

RainMaQer said:

Check out Blade's site... he has what he referred to as "the Bomb". It's a tank that's underground... keeping the water cool and acting as a res.

yea i read that a few weeks ago.. nice idea.. i guess if you have money you can do whatever u want.

and to think today i made my first attempt at cutting out a hole in my old pc case as practice for making 2 blow-holes in my new pc. i thaught i was pretty damn good for doing that even though the circle was more like an oval etc etc...

That is beyond sweet...thats Godly...absolutley incredible...I want one....lol...Id have to mount a mirror in the case bottom to reflect that sweet setup so i could see it through the window

Thanks for the heads up Sam, (and everyone here for the comments) :)

Here's how I intend to mount the cooler without any glue, epoxy, or drilling / modifying the card.

This is the current status of the cooler:-

This image shows how it will be mounted.

r8500g1.jpg

The Red arrows will be linked by small alu brackets to the ram block (still to be made) for the ram on the backside of the card. this will clamp the blocks together with the card sandwiched in between, also using the PCB edge as a locator / block stabilizer. The alu "sabre" you can see in the images will be fixed to the block at the pink arrow points, and again linked to the block on the other side of the card via the PCB edge to ensure good block contact at the GPU point, (show cut off at Blue arrow point, sort of how it will be).

Hopefully this will ensure the block is very securely mounted and in contact with ram & GPU, and allow the use of thermal paste on both.

Separate blocks are my preferred way to do it, but the R8500 is not at all helpful when it comes to liquid cooling in layout & design. I recently re routed my tube work and now my coolant runs through my 1/2" barb CPU block, (reamed out to 10mm ID), first before being split to all the other items. I haven't noticed any increase in VGA ram or GPU temps by doing this, using the Asus MK2 cooler:-

True my coolant is cool & I have decent flow but even a hot Athlon shouldn't increase the coolant temp by more that ¼ to ½ of a Degree °C IF the CPU block & flow, etc are adequate.

Last edited:
Whats the total weight of this one in comparison with your nvidia cooling solution? Seems like it'll be a heck of a lot heavier as your using blocks on both sides of this card.

The backside ram block will be much smaller so hopefully it wont be excessive, but yes it's part of the reason to use Alu brackets to keep the weight down. The Asus GF3 MK2 weighs almost 3x as much as a stock Asus v8200 with block & coolant. The Radeon Might be a bit heavier but as weight hasn't been an issue with the Asus card I'm guessing it will be ok. The block will stiffen & strengthen the card. If it is a problem I'll make a support.

Bladerunner is the second recipient of the prestigous Overclockers MacGyver award trophy

Congrats Jonathan

The only other winner of this coveted award can be found Here

Last edited:
man that is pretty!!!
is the silver looking shiny one silver? or aluminum.

Back