• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blank routers, idea, dumb or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

Why can't you get a router * you can put whatever you wanted on it, like if you want to get one & put IPcop on it?

You can make one yourself, although they wouldnt be as small as a netgear router, but they could be the size of a shuttle PC.

I was going to do this, but the chassis didnt seem that nice to look at and the components were not cheap either. Would suit an install into a car or truck more than sitting visible at home.
Fanless PCs, slow but low power and dead quiet - this is what I was looking at.

What sort of things do you have in mind?

you can build a router using a very basic barebones pc kit... doesn't take much to make a linux-based router box. Just have 2 NICS at a minimum in it (one for internet in/out, the other to go to a switch/hub).... and you can set it to be/do whatever you want.

As for a 'normal' router like a linksys or a netgear, etc.... no... there is no market demand for it.

What I did was take a spare computer (AM2) and turned it into my router/firewall/DNS/DHCP/WebServer/FileServer/VPN box. I then bought a 802.11b/g/n AP (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156232) which acts as a wireless bridge. So I have:

{Internet} <--> {Cable Modem} <--> {FreeBSD Box} <--> {Gbit Switch} <--> {Wireless AP}

Laptops connect to Wireless AP, and desktops connect directly to Gbit Switch. Everything works great and I love my setup.

Back to the OP's question, the closest thing you will get to that is buying a wireless device that is supported by OpenWRT and configure from there. OpenWRT has a steeper learning curve, but I have much preferred it to DD-WRT. I have not tried Tomato.

they actually make little boards specifically for roll-ur own AP's, routers, and such. finished product is as small as any of the consumer stuff. unfortutnatley i cant think of the sites that are into that stuff atm. i know one place was popular with the sff guys. just start looking for sff stuffs with multiple nics and youl find the hardware your after

they actually make little boards specifically for roll-ur own AP's, routers, and such. finished product is as small as any of the consumer stuff. unfortutnatley i cant think of the sites that are into that stuff atm. i know one place was popular with the sff guys. just start looking for sff stuffs with multiple nics and youl find the hardware your after

You are thinking of something like this: http://www.mini-box.com/Alix-2B-Board-3-LAN-3-MINI-PCI_4?sc=8&category=19

Which is the same board that I own and will probably be listing in the classies here in a few days.

you can get older Linksys and several other routers and flash whatever firmware you want on it.... I run openWRT on my WRT54G Rev 4 and LOVE it

Back