• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blank screen, can't boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bibila

Registered
Hi guys,
I need your help. I just finished building my first ever pc and for some reason I can't get it to boot. I have ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard, i7 6800k, gtx 1080 founder edition, 2x8 3000mhz corsair ram. I think I plugged everything in correctly, however it gave me A9 error and didn't boot and nothing was on screen. I resetted few times and now it's giving me A0 which is supposed to mean (as far as I researched) it's all good, however screen is still blank.
I've tried DP, HDMI, both ports, nothing works. Display works with laptop so I know it's not displays fault. any ideas ?

knoober

No bios screen? If so is your GPU plugged in? 1080 should have a 6pin or 8pin or more (depends on exactly which 1080 what power cords it will need).

If everything is plugged in: make sure all the connections are tight (unplug them and then plug back in). If that doesnt work then there are more things to check, but lets get the simple stuff out of the way

OP
B

bibila

Registered
No bios screen? If so is your GPU plugged in? 1080 should have a 6pin or 8pin or more (depends on exactly which 1080 what power cords it will need).

If everything is plugged in: make sure all the connections are tight (unplug them and then plug back in). If that doesnt work then there are more things to check, but lets get the simple stuff out of the way

Thanks for answer, yeah I've made sure connections are tight, I even plugged it into different pcie slot etc. it lights up, fan spins, however no image on the screen.

OP
B

bibila

Registered
update: This morning I turned it on, and it actually booted, said A0 on motherboard but I saw the boot screen etc, after restart, again A0 but blank screen.

knoober

Well... Sometimes monitors do not autoselect the input and need to be switched to the correct one. Check if there is a button to toggle between DP/HDMI/DVI or whatever interface you are using. After that I would say test with new (in order of convenience/easy to find) Monitor/GPU... and per Hitbox's post keyboard.

trents

Try reseating the RAM.

Try the video card in another computer.

Take the video card out and try using the IGP for video. If that works, something is likely wrong with the video card.

Remove the CPU and check for bent socket pins.

If none of the above proves to be the problem then I would look at an RMA for the motherboard.

Last edited:
OP
B

bibila

Registered
Hi guys,
thanks for responses, apparently DP and HDMI wasn't working for some reason but DVI was which I found out after asking my friend to bring dvi adaptor and monitor. what's weird is that DP didn't work, but DP to DVI worked o_O anyways, installed windows and everything is working just fine now.

knoober

Hi guys,
thanks for responses, apparently DP and HDMI wasn't working for some reason but DVI was which I found out after asking my friend to bring dvi adaptor and monitor. what's weird is that DP didn't work, but DP to DVI worked o_O anyways, installed windows and everything is working just fine now.
Glad you got it figured out. Windows should have a generic driver thst allows DP and HDMI though, so if those ports arent working they might be broken, either on the monitor side or the gpu side. Test by plugging in another monitor on the DP/HDMI. If it works you can blame your monitor. If not then you will have to test a different known working gpu with both monitors to find the culprit.

Of course you could just stick with DVI.... I might be tempted to do that if stuff was outside warranty or if it was too difficult to get test parts.

trents

You may need to manually assign the input port on the monitor with the menu built into the monitor.

OP
B

bibila

Registered
Hi again,
I ran into another problem so thought I'd post it in this thread too :)
Basically for some odd reason, my mouse pointer is freezing and I have to restart computer. I updated drivers, tried "delete realtek" solution which I found on some forums and blogs, nothing helps. and yes, mouse has no issues, it works perfectly fine on my laptop as it did before :/

trents

What brand is the mouse? Is it corded or wireless? I've been having mouse issues lately too but different issue than yours. I sometimes the scroll wheel stops working. Is this in Windows 10?

OP
B

bibila

Registered
It's Razer Naga and windows 10. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the mouse as it never freezes on my 2nd computer.

trents

Because you probably did a lot of forced power downs on that computer before you discovered the problem with the video you may have corrupted Windows system files. I would look at doing a fresh clean install of Windows 10.

OP
B

bibila

Registered
while you're right about forced power downs, because it was new computer, I installed windows 10 AFTER I fixed that GPU issue which prevented me to access bios and install OS in first place. so no, don't think that's the problem.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Is your PC running at stock or overclocked? Mouse freezing can be a stability problem

knoober

You are on a fresh install of the operating system though? Chipset and other manufacturer drivers installed? Does the issue persist with a different keyboard and mouse?

Nuclear option (last option because it will make you start from scratch completely) :

1) reflash the latest BIOS

2) "clean all"your OS disk with diskpart (cmd line utility)

3)fresh install OS

4) Install motherboard/chipset and other proprietary drivers.

If you go through all that and something us still wrong then I haven't got a clue what the issue is. As I said though : Nuclear Option. Try all the other things you can think of first.

OP
B

bibila

Registered
I have all chipset and drivers installed and updated to lastest versions ( I think, I donwloaded from websites + I clicked update in driver settings page on all the drivers my computer has).
I can try fresh clean install, however is there any way to preserve software and games I installed? so I don't have to redownload hundreds of gb again.