• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bleed hole on a heatercore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeTimbers

Has anyone ever tried putting a bleed hole into a Chevy heatercore? I'm getting air trapped in the core (if I thump the top of it, I hear bubbles flying around the system for a few seconds) and a bleed hole of some sort ought to make life easier.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

walkerIV

This has been done before, good pictures and descriptions are available in the DodgeViper's thread here in watercooling section.
It has been about a year so you might want to search for it.
According to DV it greatly decreased bleeding time in his setup.
Good luck.

DOHCrazy

Muku, read that hole thread.

Do you just drill directly into the top of the heatcore with a good drillbit? And then JB-Weld a barb on there?

Muku

You can do that. Just be sure to drill slowly, as its easy to bend the copper. i'd also recommend drilling a smaller hole, and then use a dremel or file to get a larger diameter. Just be sure to flush the core out very well, as you don't want the filings in your loop. JBweld will work well, make sure you give it proper time to cure. Try to make the hole on the highest point on the core, on the little intake/outlet tanks on the top. I personally think the outlet tank would work the best as that is where the air probably collects the most. This may be different with others though. Also I think the bigger the hole/fitting, the more effectively it will work to bleed the air out.
If you are handy with soldering, I'd recommend that too, but be very carful not to overheat the core, as you could unsolder the seals on it and create a leak.