• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blowers vrs. fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wonder what results could be had if you modded a turbo charager compressor end for dc operation.... I have one actully. it came from my dads audi 500t from 1980. this thing is like 10 inches in diameter and designed for like 30000 rpm. It has two sets of intake blades. the main blades that lead into the blower fins, and smaller ones between them that simple suck air into the blower. its a neat one and maaan would it give you that jet engine look and feel ;)

Last edited:
Valk said:
I wonder what results could be had if you modded a turbo charager compressor end for dc operation.... I have one actully. it came from my dads audi 500t from 1980. this thing is like 10 inches in diameter and designed for like 30000 rpm. It has two sets of intake blades. the main blades that lead into the blower fins, and smaller ones between them that simple suck air into the blower. its a neat one and maaan would it give you that jet engine look and feel ;)

that would be awsome. just slap a 12v motor on it and spin that sucker up. then you could get a K&N intake kit and put a duct going out the side with a monster filter on the end.

for extra style points mount an intercooler too.

I never understood intercoolers.... I wish i knew how they worked because they would work well for computer cooling on principle. I should get that old turbo charger back. it wouldnt be hard to mod for 12 v dc motors either, but a motor required to spin that all aluminum compressor at speed would wreak havok on your hard drives me thinks, the kind of motor that putting next to your monitor would severly discolor it ;)

im still beating my roomate for thiking it was funny to put a car speaker on top of my 20 gig... .... ....

Intercoolers are only truely effective in a car in which the boost is rated rather high. In such cases, the turbo heats up at such great pressures, that cooling via cooling the intake air further, give more power...

...in reference to computer use: it would be worthless. Its the same concept as cooling your waterpump to keep the water as cool as possible in relativity to ambient temp.

-Frank

Valk said:
I never understood intercoolers.... I wish i knew how they worked because they would work well for computer cooling on principle.

Well, an intercooler is just a powerful implementation of a cooling system. It's very similar to a radiator, but then completely air-based. It's function is to cool the pressurized and heated air coming from the turbocharger so that it is colder when it enters the engine (colder air is better, you can fit more in when it's cold).

Unfortunately, you won't get very far by running air from the heatsource in a PC through a similar system. It would be inefficient (need huge pressure, no real need for air and it is itself not even optimal for heat transfer).

If you use a blower the dead spot may be smaller but it still a deadspot regardless or fan construction since the air will escape to edges of the heatsink anyway. Going to the edge of heatsink is the easiest path out of it. Wether you use a "propeller fan" or centrifugal fan you still will have a dead spot since the laws of physics demand that the most of the air will escape the EASIEST path. Sure you will get a smaller dead spot, but so far you are doing it with a CFM tradeoff. Net result so far is lower cooling capability.

Just because the air from the blower will also strike the middle of heatsink doesn't mean it will saturate the dead spot. The blower will still cool the most at the outer edges of the heatsink.

If you want to get rid of the dead spot you probably must change current heatsink designs. One way is to have air to travel through the whole heatsink from left to right(or vice versa for you nitpickers) and the top being covered (suitable for extruded heatsink designs).

What I would like to see is a high pressure airpump with a tube that will deliver it's discharge in the middle of heatsink right above the core, that's how you achive better cooling. Get the tempdifference up, deliver cold air at hottest part of heatsink.

To illustrate my meaning:
Flaktg01.jpg

I don't think there's a law of physics that really says air will "take the easiest path". Air will just blow on to the surface and then be pushed out to the sides. Seeing as this will increase pressure at the surface new incoming air may be diverted higher up.

It might be valuable to note that high-pressure air striking somewhere near the centre of the heatsink could have an effect related to the "jet-impingent" effect that new waterblocks are being designed to exploit.

Anyway, don't discredit blowers completely - although the "aero 7" models seem a beat weak to me, new designs could come out soon that will simply blow you away...

Yup... the airflow won't 'miss' the middle of the heatsink simply because there is another 'way out'. Your diagram basically infers that there is an invisible cone in the middle of the heatsink... which usually isn't the case ^_^. The airflow may travel faster down the sides but the difference could only be detected via simulation, or a large-scale mockup =p.

There's a whole lot of stuff on my system that need to be shown off 8( ... I simply have to wait til my camera's PC cable gets back from some remote factory that's apparently deep in the remote Himalayas =/.

The fan I use is...

http://www.ebmpapst.us/allpdfs/D1G133.pdf

d3g133_lo.jpg

There is a guy on Ebay that sells them (quite regularly) for $14.95 (buy it now!). Actually, that picture is leeched from his auctions. The only remaining problem is powering it... it needs 36-56v at about 3amps. That's not that hard, but you need to be smart about powering it. The bonus of using this blower over other types is that the motor is located within the cage itself. Many blowers mount the motor outside and power it directly or by pully, or the motor controls 2 blowers (common car style); one on each pole.

So, it sounds like the computer blowers that are designed to mount in a regular 80mm space arn't going to be any better?

Actually... I have another blower that...
sec... I find old pic of it...
rack-mount1.jpg

The second one in the pic... the first is a cute and cuddly little 10" fan from hell.
The outlet is almost exactly 80x80mm. I always envisioned creating some massive support bracket and sticking that 275cfm blower on top of an SLK900 or some comparable heatsink. I'd think that it would provide for a 'slight' overclock =p.

Man O Man.Thats nice.Do these fans use less amps if you adjust the resistance of the outlet air like the cent. blowers in a home
unit.What I mean is that if you take a Cent.Blower out of a a/c
air handler and use it to say,cool your garage.If you hook a amp meter to one of the fans motor leads and use a piece of sheet
metal to close off the outlet,you can get more air speed at lower amps.Thanks Vonkaar,THE FANMAN tread jack***Sorry***

I doubt it. I imagine that they would pull the same amount of current, regardless of any modifications outside of reducing the incoming voltage. It wouldn't matter on that smaller blower though, it's 115vac.

i'm thinking about buying that same blower u have there vonkaar. i saw it on ebay for >30bucks. but its rated at 200cfm, but thats fine with me.
but i'm a little confused on the whole 'wouldn't matter' because its 115v thing, can't u just use a rheostat?

You 'might' be able to adjust a 115vac motor with an AC dimmer switch but it's not actually decreasing the voltage like it would DC. Dimmer switches shorten the sine wave, effectively 'pulsing' the motor on and off. The problem with doing that to fans like that is in the cooling. They basically need to spin to cool themselves off. If you are pulsing power to it only 1/5th of the 'norm', it could get hot. Just the same, it might not even spin.

The blower on Ebay that is similar to the one in my picture would work just fine. Mine actually runs on 230v, so it's rated at a higher CFM than the one that you commonly see. The problem with that, however, is that it requires a power transformer to operate =/. C'est la vie...

Back