• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blowhole mod = success.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Blowhole mod = success (pics added)

Well I modded a blowhole into the top of my soho.
120mm
The panaflow has a hum to it that I have to fix, but other than that all's well for a completely free project.

I'll post pics as soon as I transfer them.

Project time = 2 hours. (mainly because the soho's top pannel is a little more than just screwed on... and requires the entire case to be dismanteled, then drilled out = annoying) Now it's just screwed.

Load temps before/after
Room temp = 22 C

CPU 47 / 41
CASE 31 / 28
CPU Idle 39-40 / 35

The idle temp was taken 5 minutes after I stopped Folding =), so i'd say the air flow is pretty good. CPU dropped 6 degrees C in 5 minutes.
Plus it looks cooler. =).

(btw this is using the All intake and top blowhole method.)

Eventually I'm going to add a second blowhole on the top to even it up more. But for now, this is delicious.

Last edited:

crull

I never saw a difference in temps with one I added to my case.

I could run a smart fan 2 at full blast with no difference in temps. So I took the fan out and left the fan guard over the hole.

If i put my hand there I can feel warm air rising out of the hole without the fan. Which is good because less noise without the fan and the hole is still doing something on it's own.

OP
R

RobxMcCarthy

Cut the hole with a jig saw then ground it to where I had marked with a dremel. Worked well.

Here's the pics.
Click for a larger version

The_plan.jpg
nut_diagram.jpg
Case_top.jpg
grill.jpg
arctic_cooling.jpg
(I love my arctic cooling fans..)
open_case.jpg
full_view.jpg
inside_case_close.jpg
inside_close.jpg
outside_close.jpg

nartac

damn, nice job there. I was contemplating to do this for water cooling purposes but you just gave me more confidence :) So your fan is blowing cool air in at the moment?

crull

mribnik said:
What did you use to cut the blowhole?

I bought a 3" hole bit for a drill at home depot. It makes a perfect hole for 80mm fans.

OP
R

RobxMcCarthy

Yeah but if you have a jig saw, buying a metal cutting blade will get you perfect holes of any size. And is cheaper than buying a hole saw or two. PLus you can use it for any other mods.

Zerileous

I am considering doing this to my case also, its a ver similar design, and as far as fan placement goes, its the exact same design. You blow hole is 120mm right? What CFM is it? Does this mod make it impossible to use the top CD drive?