• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-Ray Burner OR Blu-Ray reader / DVD Writer Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinity06

Registered
Can anyone out there suggest a good Blu-Ray Burner or a Drive that reads Blu-Ray and Writes DVD's?

Making the jump from ata to serial as far as my optical drives are concerned and i am looking for some feedback.

Thanks

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
NOT the sony optiarc 5100S!!!!

Only drive on newegg that burns nothing, and i manged to accidently buy it :/

I think Sony should make good Blu-Ray drives though... you know... since they invented Blu-Ray ha

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I've been on the eye out for a Blu-Ray drive for my PC as well ciruous to what people have to say.

OP
I

infinity06

Registered
From what i have found, the pioneer BDR-205 is pretty good and is the same drive that plextor uses in their high end $260 drive. The pioneer though will still set you back $205.00 - This drive writes blu-ray's at 12X and does all of your typical DVD writing.

I have the same luck, i buy things and THEN find out that i could have gotten something better for the same money OR its worth it to pay extra to have a step above and or below. I hate it :)

dorkbert

Registered
NOT the sony optiarc 5100S!!!!

Only drive on newegg that burns nothing, and i manged to accidently buy it :/

I think Sony should make good Blu-Ray drives though... you know... since they invented Blu-Ray ha
Exactly why it's vital to AVOID Sony, since you can be certain everything will be locked down tight. Rendering it useless for anything other than their idea of 'approved' use (which isn't alot.) Until there's RPC-1 firmware for them, I am steering clear of Bluray drives.

OP
I

infinity06

Registered
It may be a good idea to hold off on blu-ray writers after all. From what i have read they are deciding wether to expand the technology as to the amount of data they can hold on disc and i would hate to drop $200 now and find out that i bought a drive that became obsolete in 12 months.

simcom

It may be a good idea to hold off on blu-ray writers after all. From what i have read they are deciding wether to expand the technology as to the amount of data they can hold on disc and i would hate to drop $200 now and find out that i bought a drive that became obsolete in 12 months.
+1

On the other hand, BD-ROMs are about $80, so it isn't too much money to regret if you NEED to read some BD.

I cannot justify the cost of BD-R drives for any practical reason. You have HDD for mass storage, and you have 14K-gold DVD-R for (supposedly) long term storage.

IMO, when Sony (Bluray) wins, everybody loses :shrug: