• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue Screen at Reboot AFTER Passing Orthos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Never came across this before:

For normal testing of overclocks, I first use Memtest86 5-6 passes, then SuperPi 32 mb and finally Orthos for a few hours as a preliminary to a final if it passes the first two.

When I did this and rebooted, it blue screened messaged "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" NTFS.sys which we know is normally a memory error or a poor overclock. This did not display during the Orthos overclock test, it only appeared immediately as a message during shutdown leaving Windows to reboot.

In my case, the overclock wasn't quite correct and it's been corrected but how in the hell can it pass a final test of Orthos with a bad overclock? It's not from the rig in my sig but from an E7500 using the same DFI board and hardware except for Gskills 2 x 1GB and XP Pro.

freeagent

Your NB-V could be a little on the lowish side. I have seen that particular bluescreen both with unstable stix, or too low voltage on the board :thup:

I have also seen bluescreens after successfully passing X amount of passes with IBT heh.

OP
RollingThunder

RollingThunder

Your NB-V could be a little on the lowish side. I have seen that particular bluescreen both with unstable stix, or too low voltage on the board :thup:

I have also seen bluescreens after successfully passing X amount of passes with IBT heh.

Freeagent,

Thank you. I'm on default stock voltage all around except for the proper Vdimm for these sticks using mild overclocks (5%) to start. I mis-interpreted my multiplier and corrected it so it seems to be fine now but that blue screen afterwards really threw me. :) RAMs are good.

freeagent

No problem man :)

I know what you mean about the bluescreen, sometimes they pop up from time to time, even when you are positive your oc is stable. Believe it or not, approx. 75% of my blueys come from trying to run my rig at stock speeds!

I dont try to do that anymore ;)

:D

OP
RollingThunder

RollingThunder

No problem man :)

I know what you mean about the bluescreen, sometimes they pop up from time to time, even when you are positive your oc is stable. Believe it or not, approx. 75% of my blueys come from trying to run my rig at stock speeds!

I dont try to do that anymore ;)

:D

Intel E8600 @ 4513mhz, 1.475v

I see what you mean! :) :thup:

freeagent

I knew someone would mention that one day!

Honestly, its what she needs, Ive tried to be gentle with her, but she told me to be rougher, so thats what she got!

Believe it or not, I can run my Q6600 at 3600 with 1.3375v, and it runs waaaaay warmer then the E8600 @ 4800 with 1.5875v.. They both have a vid of 1.25 :D

My first q66 loved volts, and ran cool, my new one hates volts, and runs hot :confused:

OP
RollingThunder

RollingThunder

I knew someone would mention that one day!

Honestly, its what she needs, Ive tried to be gentle with her, but she told me to be rougher, so thats what she got!

Believe it or not, I can run my Q6600 at 3600 with 1.3375v, and it runs waaaaay warmer then the E8600 @ 4800 with 1.5875v.. They both have a vid of 1.25 :D

My first q66 loved volts, and ran cool, my new one hates volts, and runs hot :confused:

freeagent,

You guys have explained that all is not always equal between chips, stepping, voltage, motherboards and maybe even operating systems, etc. but I am beginning to see this first hand with two identical boards and similar chips.

I used this board and settings as a general guide for my E7500 but I borked my initial multiplier (Am an old AMD clocker!). While I am not up to the same E7500 overclock percentage, I can see right away the E7500 will run cooler already. At 3166 MHz it never goes past 55 C with Orthos. My E8500 is at my max of 70 C @ 3608 MHz. Both are stock cooling and voltage but that may differ soon. And yes, the OEM Intel cooler and fan suks. :)

That's a helluva nice job with that E8600!

freeagent

Yessir, each piece of hardware has its own personality, and its own set of likes and dislikes :)

And thanks for the compiment! But I think anyone can do it ;)

I need to update my sig, I have another system, I built it useing scraps, and have it running in my bedroom. Anyways, long story short, my 8600 is running in it, its useing a stock cooler without the stock fan, and with no copper slug.. but its running at 4ghz with 1.2875v. You would love the ghettoness :)

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1376/img2428ln.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3360/img2432t.jpg

:thup: