• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue screen of Death raises its ugly head

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookj5

I recently upgraded my memory and Heatsink/fan, so I OC'd my 2500 to 2145. It has been running there for about 20 hours or so, only 10 hours strait, sence I can't sleep with that tornado running. I was playing winamp 3, Running the Seti client, and using Paintshop Pro 8 all at the same time. All of a sudden , the blue screen of death. No messages or warnings at all, just blue. my temps at the time, and now are below 40*C. I haven't bumped my volt on the cpu or memory. Any Ideas why I crashed? Any Ideas to help me get to 2.25GHz or 2.3 GHz stabily? Any comments welcome. I forgot to add that before I change the BIOS settings I soft clock to check for stability as it is easier to just reboot that to clear the cmos and then reinter all the info into BIOS. I ran FSB 198 for like 10 min with ColockGen before it crashed, so I backed it down to 195, where it is at now.

Last edited:

bulk88

First what kind of heatsink are you using? It maybe poor.

If the CPU in your sig is the one your taling about, you REALLY need to boost the voltage on that ond CPU. Do the smallest step possible and see if it gets more stable at the same speed. Remember to cahck your temperatures! Also make sure the shutdown if temperature exceeded is on. Set it to the lowest you can. 60*C is a good temp for that setting, any lower and you might accidently shut your computer down.

When did you buy your boad and did it promise 400 mhz FSB on the box? AKA do you have a Nforce 2 Version 2.0 chipset? The originals had MAJOR problems hitting 200FSB. The 2.0s can easily goto 220 atleast.

Oh also in your sig its 1 GB of RAM not 1 GHZ of RAM. (Irrelavent, it can be 1 ghz memery if you have RAMBUS:D )

Also as you being a new overclocker, PLEASE don't touch the VDD/Chipset voltages. Those are instant death to your board. Also if you don't have a revision 2 nforce 2 based motherboard don't hope for crossing 200 mhz at all. The VDIMM you can boost to try and get a better FSB, try 2.6 or 2.7 or 2.8 volts, go any higher and you could kill your computer. If increasing that doesn't get you anything, decrease the multiplier on the CPU and try again, if that doesn't get you anything decrease the memeory voltage because you have a chipset problem and put up a new thread asking for help. Your only resort is dangerous chipset overclocking or CPU multiplier overclocking. Also I would boost the multiplier on that CPU, it it unlocked and you can do it easily. Try 12x and then go bumping up the FSB.

Your early Barton loves high voltage. 1.9V is about good. BUT please cheack with us on your cooling because 1.9v can very likly kill your processor if you don't have good cooling. And whenyou get stable try lowering the CPU voltage untill it becomes unstable then bump it up one notch, voltage is a two way street, it can get you a better overclock but it can also kill your components faster (it will burn out 1-2 years faster than if it wasn't) or instantly.

OP
Hookj5

Hookj5

First,thanks for responding bulk 88, second My Asus A7N88X del. is rev. 2.0. The box cleary states FSB 333 with DDR 400 support. Other peeople with my same memory say that it is power hungery. My heatsink is a new Thermalright ''SLK900A'' with a 92 mm Tornado fan. I do watch my temps, but on boot up just now I wanted to see what my BIOS read my temps at. It was about 15*C above what Motherboard monitor 5 reads them at. I am greatly concerned about the discrepancy between the two. My CPU is unlocked and I will up the multiplyer, but I think I will drop the FSB to 190 until I get better temp readings as when I was responding to this post earlier I was dropped to my desktop, winamp shut off, and windows was unresponsive. I had to do a restart with the restart button. Clearly unstable at those settings. I will keep you posted, and any other suggestions?

bulk88

I don't regularly use MBM5 (it was too complicated to set up and I now use the MB manufactur's tools). But you are probably reading the system or chipset temperature, not the CPU, also you could be reading the thermal monitor under your proc (I don't know if that board has one), which is bad and inaccurate. You should be reading the one built into to die of the proc.

And yes you probably need to up your voltage, it is perfectly safe if not recommened by the manufacturer. I wouldn't go above 2.7v unless I saw that other people were doing the same without killing their stick of RAM.'

In terms of FSB overclocking you hit the limit of your memeory. A instant freeze with active screen is a chipset failure. Multiple programs crashing and being debugged and read failures is bad memeory, this can also lead to a BSOD. Also certain BSOD stop messages have to do with bad memeory and others with bad CPU. Your probably too inexperiance to know which is which.

You really need to up the memeory voltage if you want to continue on FSB overclocking. According to common conscensus, a higher FSB will get you more performance than a higher multiplier. You should lower the CPU multiplier to 8x and push the FSB to the max then lift the multiplier. Also with your cooling try using high voltages, 1.9V is a good place to start. I KEPT (PS failed killing MB but not proc) the processor in my sig at 1.975v and it has been running fine at 2290 mhz. It is similar to yours. So you should use a higher voltage with your old proc. Also goto a speed in which your fairly unstable. Then keepe uping the voltage, it may seem around 1.7-1.85 volts the system becomes more unstable but keep uping it till you hit 1.9v or the max of your board. My barton only becomes more unstable from volts above 2.000v at 2.050 it is really unstable and 2.1v it won't be stable enough to get through the progress startup bar in Win2k.