• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue Screen of Death when activating second GPU of 4870x2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Udayakiran

I am unable to activate the second GPU in the 4870x2.

When i activate it, Windows freezes up and a blue screen of death appears and then restarts. The BSOD quotes the driver file "atikmpag.sys". When it boots up, the computer gets stuck in the "Starting Windows" screen. After a while, it BSODs, quoting the same driver file.

I am able to boot into safe mode. If i go to device manager and disable the second GPU (running it on only one GPU), Windows boots up normally.

There are no Red LEDs on. There are three Green LEDs lit up, of which the middle one (labelled 'D3') keeps blinking. When Windows disables both the GPUs (running on the IGP), the first Green LED (from the fan), labelled 'D2', starts blinking. So i am guessing that the blinking LED means the corresponding GPU is not being used (just a wild guess).

I monitored temperatures using Catalyst Control Centre and GPU-Z. One GPU is at 60 Deg C. The other one reports 32767.5 Deg C. Infact all the readings are way off for the second GPU. And GPU-Z says crossfire is not enabled. Fan speed is at 40%.

Tried the drivers from xfxforce.com. No change. I installed the latest drivers v10.1 from AMD's site. No change. The problem occurs even with the default windows drivers.

I have tried re-installing Windows and then installing drivers, the ATI htofix, 'Verify Drivers' thing, set the AI to advanced, tried disabling it. The CCC does not even say that the second GPU is disabled.

Motherboard BIOS is the latest version and so are the device drivers. I dont know if there is any newer version of 4870x2's BIOS. I was not able to locate it anywhere. My card has the BIOS version 011.007.000.000.030318.

System Specification:
Proc: Intel Core2Quad Q6600.
Mobo: Intel DG33FB.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB.
Power: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W.
Display: Samsung 19" Widescreen.

I have been trying to fix this for the last 2 days, but no avail. I'm at my wits' end. Please help.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
if you are trying to run 2 4870x2's on a 650 wall psu then I would say that is your problem right there.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I agree with that ^^. Not enough juice to power those bad boys.

Corsair 850TX/HX would be right up your alley.

KaiPLN

if you are trying to run 2 4870x2's on a 650 wall psu then I would say that is your problem right there.

I think he means activating crossfire (2nd gpu) on a 4870x2 card not running 2 4870x2 cards..anyway there might be not enough power for that card anyway...:confused:

You might try 9.12 drivers or you might consider the possibility that the 2nd gpu is toast since it bsods right after you activate it but thats just my guess..

Badbonji

It should be enough power because the GPU's are idle and aren't even drawing that much power in the logon screen...
You should try to reinstall the drivers and using something like Drivercleaner to remove the old version completely.

OP
U

Udayakiran

I agree with that ^^. Not enough juice to power those bad boys.

Corsair 850TX/HX would be right up your alley.

Like KaiPLN said, i meant the second GPU on the 4870x2. And if it were a power issue, the third Red light should be lit, right? In my case, no Red leds are lit. Only the second Green LED is flashing. I was not able to find any info about the Green LEDs. :(

OP
U

Udayakiran

I think he means activating crossfire (2nd gpu) on a 4870x2 card not running 2 4870x2 cards..anyway there might be not enough power for that card anyway...:confused:

You might try 9.12 drivers or you might consider the possibility that the 2nd gpu is toast since it bsods right after you activate it but thats just my guess..

Well, i read that, if there was not enough power, the third Red LED will be lit. No Red LEDs on. All Green. So, it is not about power or overheating.

I tried the 8.11, 9.12, 10.1 driver versions. No use.

Your second suggestion is a bit unsettling. I cant even claim the warranty as i bought it in the USA and i'm in India. :cry:

It should be enough power because the GPU's are idle and aren't even drawing that much power in the logon screen...
You should try to reinstall the drivers and using something like Drivercleaner to remove the old version completely.

I did a fresh install of the OS and installed the driver. In fact i reinstalled the OS nearly 4 times.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well, that may not be the issue now...but I wouldnt run them in Crossfire with that PSU...Thats asking for trouble.

OP
U

Udayakiran

Well, that may not be the issue now...but I wouldnt run them in Crossfire with that PSU...Thats asking for trouble.

I know. I feel crossfiring with this card is not a good idea anyway. Selling them off and buying a 5970 would be better, if one has the cash.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
pardon me...but why are you using 2 4870x2's on a 19" monitor in the first place? Unless you benchmark, one of those on a 19" would be overkill. If I was you I would just get a single 5870 and upgrade your monitor to a 24" so the GPU actually has some work to do. ;)

OP
U

Udayakiran

pardon me...but why are you using 2 4870x2's on a 19" monitor in the first place? Unless you benchmark, one of those on a 19" would be overkill. If I was you I would just get a single 5870 and upgrade your monitor to a 24" so the GPU actually has some work to do. ;)

I'm not using 2 4870x2s. I'm using just one. Device Manager shows the 2 graphical processors in 4870x2 as 2 seperate graphics cards. Of those 2, I have to disable the second one to got into windows.