• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue screen problem on xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkdgbroyles

I get a blue screen every 6-7 days when my son plays runescape on the net. The blue screen says no page fault. Also it says windows is shutting down to protect components please check your cache. Does anyone know what I should do?

Sorin

Does it list what file caused the error? One of our computers kept doing a BSOD on portcls.sys and lhidusb.sys. So what I did was copy those two files from my win 2k computer and put them on the win xp pro computer that was blue screening. Those two particular blue screens went away, although I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to keep replacing xp system files with win2k system files.

Anyways, try that maybe? Unless it's one of those irritating *** BSODs that doesn't list a file (problem I never have in 2k, it always lists a file).

Blondie

Registered
You really need to post the exact errors. I don't doubt your getting a STOP 0x0000000 error as snafumaster said- but which one is what matters- since there are tons of them. Your other error "sounds like" it may be an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error? If so- this is fairly easy to fix.

Not knowing how up to date you are with your antivirus, or if you have a firewall to prevent trojans, you could have a virus or trojan.