• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bluetooth and BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

So with so many new motherboards including Bluetooth functionality on board and the ever growing complexity of the BIOS, is bluetooth peripheral access in the BIOS still not a thing? I can't seem to find anything reliable on google relating to the topic. I guess that wireless peripherals just aren't prevalent enough yet. If anybody has anything to add to my very tiny knowledge pool on the subject, please do.

And to anybody running a Bluetooth keyboard, do the drivers load before the login screen so I can type my Windows password ? Or would I need to use the mouse/onscreen keyboard to login ?

Last edited:
Take a look at these, get some ideas, cheap. Winderz has drivers. After that, sync & go.

I have one of these in the mail actually. I'm not sure if you caught the nature of the thread. I'm talking about navigating the motherboards BIOS with a Bluetooth Keyboard.

Without Bluetooth hardware/firmware on the MB you will need to either use a PS2 KB & mouse for BIOS access, or wait for Winderz to load, then access UEFI via the AI Suite.

Without Bluetooth hardware/firmware on the MB you will need to either use a PS2 KB & mouse for BIOS access, or wait for Winderz to load, then access UEFI via the AI Suite.

Are you implying that motherboards exist with hardware/firmware to allow Bluetooth navigation in the BIOS?

There are a couple of MBs with Bluetooth baked in, such as this one and another I've seen from ASUS. But the dongle route is cheap and can be easily transferred from one unit to another, for just-in-casies.

There are a couple of MBs with Bluetooth baked in, such as this one and another I've seen from ASUS. But the dongle route is cheap and can be easily transferred from one unit to another, for just-in-casies.

Robert17....... Are you messing with me ? :rolleyes:

I have in hand an IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 Micro USB Adapter, I'm just trying to figure out if there is any way in which I can do motherboard BIOS things and or type my windows password should I decide to ditch my wired keyboard for a wireless one.

Last edited:
I thought I answered your questions. To be clear, IF you posess a MB with onboard Bluetooth, then you can use a Bluetooth KB & mouse with it within BIOS, UEFI or otherwise. If not, you cannot access the BIOS, UEFI or otherwise, with a Bluetooth KB & mouse. You will have to use a WiFi or wired KB & mouse IF you do not posess a MB with onboard Bluetooth.

I thought I answered your questions. To be clear, IF you posess a MB with onboard Bluetooth, then you can use a Bluetooth KB & mouse with it within BIOS, UEFI or otherwise. If not, you cannot access the BIOS, UEFI or otherwise, with a Bluetooth KB & mouse. You will have to use a WiFi or wired KB & mouse IF you do not posess a MB with onboard Bluetooth.

Wooha, Awesome. Thanks man, that's what I've been searching for !

I believe most wireless kbs and mice use some other radio transmission technology rather than bluetooth and on most newer systems these kind of input devices are initialized soon enough in the boot process so as to be active for navigating the bios.

Ahh. I was looking at a Bluetooth keyboard, I suppose I could search instead for a wireless keyboard.

The good part of bluetooth is if you lose the usb dongle any other bt dongle will work as a replacement. Not a proprietary signal.

The good part of bluetooth is if you lose the usb dongle any other bt dongle will work as a replacement. Not a proprietary signal.

Bluetooth>wireless. This is the way I look at it too, I was hoping that complete functionality and access within my system would be true for Bluetooth as well. Robert17 seems to think that this is possible for motherboards with built in Bluetooth which would make sense to me, why would they not? I think I'm going to go Bluetooth but it still feels like a gamble.

So I've reached out to countless Ebay sellers selling Pro gaming boards with built in bluetooth, and got a resounding NO as an answer to my inquiry.

However I did a brief " Live chat " on the ASUS website today and go this.

Still, I don't really know how to analyze these responses.

Attachments

• Bluetooth in BIOS.jpg
    Bluetooth in BIOS.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,698
Other than her typo where she typed "Monitors" instead of "Motherboards" it seems clear to me that she is saying what you want to do with the bluetooth keyboard will work.

I have a WiFi adapter for a wireless keyboard & mouse (Logitech) and can use them upon booting into BIOS, UEFI or other. Part of my selection is that my KB & mouse can transmit/receive from 30 ft. which works well for Unit 2 in my living room. (In my office I have the same setup but seldom need the extra range.) We can sit across the room, or even the dining room for that matter, and play with the PC. With Bluetooth I'd be limited to around 6 ft. unless I got a Bluetooth adapter of equal signal strength, which are available. But I don't know what signal strength for Bluetooth is baked into the MBs that are available. That might be a question you'd want answered as well.

Good thoughts. I think newer bluetooth standards specify ranges to 30 ft. but that can vary depending on physical barriers and electro-magnetic/wireless interference.

I have a WiFi adapter for a wireless keyboard & mouse (Logitech) and can use them upon booting into BIOS, UEFI or other. Part of my selection is that my KB & mouse can transmit/receive from 30 ft. which works well for Unit 2 in my living room. (In my office I have the same setup but seldom need the extra range.) We can sit across the room, or even the dining room for that matter, and play with the PC. With Bluetooth I'd be limited to around 6 ft. unless I got a Bluetooth adapter of equal signal strength, which are available. But I don't know what signal strength for Bluetooth is baked into the MBs that are available. That might be a question you'd want answered as well.

I've heard tell that Logitech uses some special tech where they are having their USB dongle imitate a USB signal during bootup until the drivers kick in. What I'd like to know, is would you expect your wireless adapter to exhibit the same functionality if you were using a non Logitech keyboard wirelessly.

I've had both successes and failures with different WiFi adapters with other mice than Logitech. But I don't try to mix & match those peripherals often as I don't own but 3 wireless meeces, one being an MS. It worked with one Logitech adapter, but not the other. Go figure.

Other than her typo where she typed "Monitors" instead of "Motherboards" it seems clear to me that she is saying what you want to do with the bluetooth keyboard will work.

Well... erm, does it really though ? The nature of how she answered the questions seems to indicate to me that she didn't get the question right.

" Motherboards which do not have inbuilt bluetooth may not be compatible with bluetooth keyboards "

And while she does state "" you can use bluetooth keyboard to access the BIOS "", by saying ""and type passwords "" well, I think she (A): Thinks I'm talking about using UEFI from Windows, and (B): Thinks the nature of my question is much more basic than it is.

========

It's looking like I'll have to be the person to buy a Bluetooth keyboard and Bluetooth equipped motherboard and try to use it to install an operating system.

Back