• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOINC: GUI RPC request from non-local address 0xa000006

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

I'm getting this error message on all the client PC on my LAN. I have BoicView installed on the server machine but disabled the GUI RPC requests and keep getting that error message "GUI RPC request from non-local address 0xa000006 "

Can anyone help? I have Norton AV 2004, but I don't think it's firewalled since my router takes care of that and my Windows XP Firewall is disabled as well.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Strange - I don't think the windows gui has the RPC option at all. Have you checked the Berkeley forum?

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
AudiMan said:
I'm getting this error message on all the client PC on my LAN. I have BoicView installed on the server machine but disabled the GUI RPC requests and keep getting that error message "GUI RPC request from non-local address 0xa000006 "

Can anyone help? I have Norton AV 2004, but I don't think it's firewalled since my router takes care of that and my Windows XP Firewall is disabled as well.

Can't answer your question as to why it's happening, but I can assure you it happens to me as well. It seems to have started to me after Version 0.7b, and has been present ever since. I went into the "preferences" setup and disabled anything having to do with GUI RPC, I deleted my one cruncher which is running Linux and had been reporting via RPC, and still I get that message repeatedly on every box I am monitoring everytime I start BOINCView. I have no AntiVirus or FireWalls running so that is not the cause in your case either. My only guess is when the author implimented the RPC feature he somehow has it checking and trying RPC whether or not that is how you have selected to connect to a particular box.

SkyHook

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

That blinking question mark on the BOINC icon annoys the hell out of me. I guess we'll have to wait for a patch.

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

I've been searching the net and found some possible fixes. I have yet to try them when I get home from work.

Add the following commands to your shortcuts:

Either:
"C:\BOINC\boinc_gui.exe" -allow_remote_gui_rpc
Or:
"C:\BOINC\boinc_gui.exe" -allow_remote_gui_rpc -min

Just make sure your path is correct.

Can someone test this out for me before I get home? Thanks.

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
AudiMan said:
That blinking question mark on the BOINC icon annoys the hell out of me. I guess we'll have to wait for a patch.

At the very least it makes you think that something has gone terribly wrong with the client everytime you see that RED signal in the taskbar. As an experiment I dug around and found a copy of the Version 0.5 download and set it up and sure enough NO WARNING MESSAGES and no attempts to contact other machines. Now the downside is Version 0.5 does not have the bells and whistles that Version 0.7 contains, but the only missing thing that was nice about 0.7 is that 0.5 only shows you the WU currently being worked on while 0.7 shows you what you have in the cache as well. But at least 0.5 allows me to check up and make sure my pharm clients are still crunching.

SkyHook

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I had the same problem when using BOINC View, but disabling it in Preferences and making sure that there were no IP addresses (or hostnames) in every computer's setup section got rid of it for me.

EDIT: I just let it do the RPC thing, and adding the "-allow_remote_gui_rpc" option to your shortcut also stops it. It also gives the bonus of quicker updates on the progress (since it dosen't have to wait for BOINC to flush results every 60 seconds)

JigPu

Last edited:

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
I also tried adding the switch to the end of my shortcut and it works fine for me as well.

After talking with TC, he experimented with the "-return_results_immediately" switch and discovered it also worked properly with the GUI client. With this switch, as soon as the client returns a completed WU to Berkeley it automatically contacts the Scheduling Server and notifies it of the return so that it gets into the validator ASAP.

THANKS to both AudiMan and TC for discovering these handy pointers!

SkyHook

BTW - If it isn't evident the "-min" switch starts the client minimized to the system tray.

Last edited:
OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

Yup, I just added the boinc_gui.exe" -allow_remote_gui_rpc -min switch to my BOINCers on my lan and it fixed the problem.

So "C:\BOINC\boinc_gui.exe" -allow_remote_gui_rpc -return_results_immediately -min is the setting to use then huh?

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
AudiMan said:
Yup, I just added the boinc_gui.exe" -allow_remote_gui_rpc -min switch to my BOINCers on my lan and it fixed the problem.

So "C:\BOINC\boinc_gui.exe" -allow_remote_gui_rpc -return_results_immediately -min is the setting to use then huh?

Well adding that -return_results_immediately switch gets your completed and returned results into the validator ASAP, which in turn means you potentially get your "Granted Credits" more quickly. This is not a big thing if your cache is small since they get reported whenever the client requests more WUs anyway, but if for some reason accidental or otherwise you were to "detach" from the project before they were reported to the Scheduler they would be lost and no credit awarded to you.

SkyHook

TC

Senior Seti Addict
AudiMan said:

Yep, without it you'll notice that completed work units sit there "ready to report" until the client contacts the scheduler for some other reason, for instance to get more work units. At that point those will be returned to Berkeley and enter the validation system. With this switch work units are reported as soon as they're done, and you don't build up a cache of completed results.