• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bong Idea - Pic Enclosed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazyjoekuta

Registered
Posted this over @ hardforum, but then realized you guys might know better ;)
---
I got to thinking if i was going to make a bong, it would have to have a resevoir for the night, if i'm gone for a while, forget, etc.
I also realized there might be a problem finding a showerhead for a 4" pipe that doesn't take up too much of the airway for the hot air to escape the top...
If you guys could please comment on the design linked here, i'd really appreciate it.
--
The air in effect is forced up the tube, cooling the water along the way. My only concern is if enough air will get up the tube without much turbulence from forcing pressure inside the resevoir. While the direct air flow would not be on the falling water as in a standard bong configuration, fitting a Y connector near the bottom doesn't blow air on the water for that much time anyway.

[img="[URL]http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~kuta/bongidea.jpg[/URL]"]

Thanks a lot,

-joe

Standard, text-book design for a evaporative cooling tower (in the real world) -good to go! Don't worry about 'turbulence' inhibiting the air flow rate 'from going up'. No such thing. Just make sure that the reservoir water level doesn't get too close to the fans or the splashing of the water droplets when they break the surface might get into your DC (AC?) fans' circuit and short them out -and not to mention a higher water level will also restrict the flow rate of air going in from under the tower.

didin't think about the high water level problem... was thinking i could fix it by mounting fan extensions between the res. and the fans so that even water @ the top of the res. wouldn't get to the fans, but that would just eliminate airlflow! i guess i'll make a watermeter w/ an elbow joint and clear tubing.

does anyone know of a way to myst the water coming in instead of shooting it out of a shower head

I was thinking about the same types of nozzles that they use to make fake fog or something like that

or maybe a ultrasonic think like a humidifier.

crash893 (Jul 02, 2001 03:45 p.m.):
does anyone know of a way to myst the water coming in instead of shooting it out of a shower head

I was thinking about the same types of nozzles that they use to make fake fog or something like that

or maybe a ultrasonic think like a humidifier.

you have to run a pretty high pressure to do this, but you can find misters at the HD to look at and see. I would be worried about sending the mist outta the bong though.

nah, no indian in me ... many have wondered about my name ... it's polish, or czech or slavik or somethin' We're not really sure!

bout the mist, agree w/ the high pressure and mist escaping.

No, mist no good -lots of water wil get blown away (drift loss) and there'll be colonies of mildew in your room in a week flat. High pressure pumps? Good if you have one but I'd be checking for leaks at the hose connections with higher pressures. I dunno, what's the largest max. head rating for any aquarium pump commercially available you fellas have ever seen? My 400gph is 5.6ft max. The 600gph pumps are probably at 7ft max. Since you won't be needing larger pumps to create mist (bad! bad!) or up a higher tower, it'll just supply more flow rate, and if your hose diameters are too narrow or you don't have enough openings in the showerhead the pump will never reach anywhere near the rated gph, minus those from elevation and pressure losses (quite significant). In the end, a 600gph will probably give you just 200gph in actuality compared to a 400gph rated pump which outputs 150gph (like mine). Diminishing returns.

Back