• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOOM!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OrbitalCat

Well, that was fun! Lost a secondary power supply today (catastrophically) and it took one of my 980ti's with it, and the PCI slot it was in...sooo the Cat is somewhat crippled.

Having said that, I'm going to be reorganizing my surviving hardware into 2 machines (for reasons not related to Folding) and I think I want to run one dedicated folder on Linux, but I haven't dealt with Linux since I had a RedHat box I grabbed in a brick and mortar Egghead store in about 2001 :eek:

So, can anyone recommend a good no nonsense modern linux distro that they're using, and anything else I'm going to need besides NVidia drivers to get it Folding? Thanks! :D

David

Forums Super Moderator
I tend to default to Ubuntu. The installation is easy and it prompts you about whether you want the nvidia drivers (which you do for FaH) or the open source ones.

Xubuntu might be a little lighter if you want to minimise any O/S overhead.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Cat, I have only ever used Ubuntu. Lots of documentation and help.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I had issues with FAHControl at first, but IIRC I had it working recently on a machine with Ubuntun 20.04 LTS. 18 or 16 should be fine for FaH though.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Well, that was fun! Lost a secondary power supply today (catastrophically) and it took one of my 980ti's with it, and the PCI slot it was in...sooo the Cat is somewhat crippled.

Before the PSU went BOOM, was your PC doing anything weird? reboots, lockups, shutdowns or any other weird things? That is some signs that the PSU is going out, I even had a PSU cause a breaker to trip.

OP
O

OrbitalCat

Not that I had noticed, but this was a secondary power supply that was only powering the 2 980 ti's so maybe I wouldn't have. Came downstairs to that familiar smell of dead computer and noticed the lights on the 2 video cards were out. Further troubleshooting revealed the extent of the damage. It was an older power supply, maybe it just gave up.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Not that I had noticed, but this was a secondary power supply that was only powering the 2 980 ti's so maybe I wouldn't have. Came downstairs to that familiar smell of dead computer and noticed the lights on the 2 video cards were out. Further troubleshooting revealed the extent of the damage. It was an older power supply, maybe it just gave up.

Ahh I see, in that case it would be hard to see any signs of the PSU failing.
Nothing like the smell of burnt PCB in the morning :rofl:

superducky

Team 32 Folding Member
If you must use a gui, +1 for Xubuntu, its what I use on my servers because the GUI itself is much lighter and plays better with IPMI iKVM.

Sorry to hear about the failure :*(