• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boost one core, lower the others?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

The only game I play is WoW mainly. Yea, I know. A $2500 pc and $1000 monitor for WoW?!!!! I'm a perfectionist like that, or just insane. Anyhow, on to my question.
Since WoW only runs on 1, maybe 2 cores could I possibly lower the other 3 cores to maybe 3.2GHz or lower and raise the first core to maybe 5.5GHz or is that a dumb question? I just wondered since 3 cores were lowered, I could raise the first core more. Can you undervolt cores separately?

Dude.... WoW with a 5 GHz 7700K and a 1080Ti and you are worrying about overclocking the CPU more?

5.5 GHz won't happen.

You cannot undevolt cores on this CPU separately.

Enjoy Wow!

What resolution are you running WoW? Also remember in a game like that you are also athe mercy of the servers. I have been places where that game is just laggy and crappy frame rates due to server lag etc. And yes true that game isnt really optimized well at all. It's a 15 yr old game that has been patched and repatched soooooo many times.

Z

The resolution is 3440x1440. I would think that this rig could play anything at ultra settings and this resolution. Even The Witcher 3 on ultra and hairworks on I get 80+ fps.
But WoW in some places like Zuzzz said really laggy. I wouldn't say servers. Because I play on many servers and they're all the same. But I guess when you have 50 other players in a big town with a lot of detail and things going on it's just like that. If I look straight up at the sky I get 280 fps sometimes, but then it can drop to 40 fps at times too. Thank goodness for g-sync.

The only game I play is WoW mainly. Yea, I know. A $2500 pc and $1000 monitor for WoW?!!!! I'm a perfectionist like that, or just insane. Anyhow, on to my question.
Since WoW only runs on 1, maybe 2 cores could I possibly lower the other 3 cores to maybe 3.2GHz or lower and raise the first core to maybe 5.5GHz or is that a dumb question? I just wondered since 3 cores were lowered, I could raise the first core more. Can you undervolt cores separately?

Just run the processor with default BIOS settings and the game will turbo 1 to 4 cores on it's own.

The resolution is 3440x1440. I would think that this rig could play anything at ultra settings and this resolution. Even The Witcher 3 on ultra and hairworks on I get 80+ fps.
But WoW in some places like Zuzzz said really laggy. I wouldn't say servers. Because I play on many servers and they're all the same. But I guess when you have 50 other players in a big town with a lot of detail and things going on it's just like that. If I look straight up at the sky I get 280 fps sometimes, but then it can drop to 40 fps at times too. Thank goodness for g-sync.

At that res your almost @4K. On ultra settings you should be able to lock it in around 60 FPS for sure. But I agree some places you just cant get good FPS as there are too many ppl and things going on. This to me introduces lag in the idea that you must wait for other ppls actions to be displayed at your end. If THEY have a crappy systems and lag it can cause you too to also lag(and lose FPS). That 1080 card will handle 4K nicely but WoW doesnt always play nice no matter how good your GPU.

Z

Last edited:
got home and now i see the signature in your posts. Mobile app seriously needs some work done on that...or im missing something.

After reading this post, i say don't worry about it. Same thing as earth dog, if its stable in benchmarks and stress tools, enjoy your setup. As the saying goes but a little differently in this case

"Blame the game, not the player".

Back