• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluedude2288

I was wondering if anybody knew how to add/delete items in the Operating selection when the computer starts, i know you have to change something using DOS. I am wondering, because currently i am running Windows XP Pro and i want to add windows ME also to my system, and i want to be able to select wich one i want to boot when the computer starts, but the windows me i am installing, when you install it, it makes itself the primary boot and ignores all other operating systems causing me not to be able to boot into Xp anymore, how doi resolve this

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
You need to install 9x systems first. Therefor, install Me, then install XP/2k. Then install Linux if you've got it or want it. The bootloader of XP/2k will catch 9x (95, 98, me) and set them up in a selectable menu at startup, allowing you to choose which to want to run. If there's a way to do it with the OSs already installed, you've got me. I'm sure it can be done, but I couldn't tell you what to do. If XP was working, I could tell you where the file is, but you'd have to know your system extremely well and your hard drive organization and how to write it to make it work without reinstalling.

Z

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

YEAH, i already have XP installed and kinda want to keep the xp i already have, where is the file you are talking about

ronin1967

unfortunatley you have to install older OS's first then newer ones, and Windows XP will actually create a boot menu showing the different OS's, you then select which one is default and set a timer(if you don't change or press a key it will run the default when the timer elapses).

I have heard of people creating dual boot after they installed XP, I will investigate and get back to you ASAP

ronin1967

one more quick question, assumming you installed XP Pro, did you install it to FAT32 or NTFS, if it's NTFS then you have no choice but to start over or install a second drive, Windows ME won't run on NTFS it needs Fat or FAT32, you could try and use Partition Magic Pro to convert your NTFS drive to FAT32(it almost never works), then try and install ME, but like I said before you always install the oldest OS first...

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
The file I'm talking about is in Control Panel-System-Advanced-Startup and Recovery-Settings-System Startup and click on Edit. I absolutely cannot tell you what to do to this to make it work, but as it controls what you see on bootup, I don't see why you couldn't edit it to show Win Me.

Good Luck, though

Z

ronin1967

You are right on the money zachj, that is the boot upfeature that XP uses, if you have mutiple OS's it is also used to set a default OS and a timer countdown, only problem is you have to install the OS's in proper order, old to new, and if you want to swap files, everything has to be in the same file format(FAT32, NTFS, etc...)

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
If you don't want to reinstall windows XP then you need a boot controller. This is a program that lets you select which os you want to load.

2K and XP both come with this software built in, but if used with another version of windows the older one needs to be installed first.

Have a look here and select one.

To be able to share file between OS's both os's must be able to read the format the drive is formated in.

OS == Formats it can read
95 == FAT
95OSR2 == FAT, FAT 32
98/SE == FAT, FAT32
ME == FAT, FAT32
NT4 == NTFS4
2k/XP == FAT, FAT32, NTFS4/5

Good Luck

Andy

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

I HAVE 2 Drives, 1 30 gig and one 20 gig, but the 20 gig has 5 partions, so i could easily convert one partion to FAT32

ronin1967

first let me say that once you have installed XP to the C: drive it is almost impossible to get it to function well if you try and load older OS's to other drives or partions, that's just the law of the jungle, second, if XP is in NTFS, and ME has to be FAT32 or FAT there is no way to swap files between the OS's, the only way to swap files on a dual boot system is to have them all run the same file system(FAT32 is your only option). XP does have a built boot loader, and there are good 3rd party boot loaders(there is one that comes along with Partion Magic), but again you are going to haver some problems with XP being on the C: drive, in my opion the 40 minutes it would take to reinstall XP would be worth the hours of aggravation you are going to have tyring to setup this way, of course it's your headache so I don't mind helping...

with that in mind, where should we begin?

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

well actualy, c: is just a drive for files, D: is my cdrom, E: is windows XP and f: through i: are just drives for files, and i kinda don't want to reinstall itbecause right now i have it customized the way i like it, all well! I guess i'll throw that idea aside, thanks anyway.

ronin1967

if you don't mind, clarify a few things for me:

you have 2 hard drives, 1 is partioned
the partitioned drive has 5 partitions(E-I)
E is your Windows XP(in NTFS)
C has nothing but files on it

If this is the case then you could install ME to a partition on the C drive, there would be some tweaking but it would work great

Last edited:
OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

I Have 2 hard drives

-------------Master Drive's partions below----------
C:\ --> For files, formatted with NTFS, mainly for my 5 gig music collection
----------------------Cd roms below--------
d:\ ->DVD rom
--------------Slave's Drive partions below-----------
E:\ --------->Windows XP partions, formatted NTFS
F:\ ----------> for files, formatted in NTFS
G:\ ------------>For files, formatted in NTFS
H:\ ----------->for files, formatted in NTFS
I:\ ------------> for files, formatted in NTFS
--------------------------------------------------------
and to answer your question zachj, i really don't know why i did this, i was installing linux one time and i just found out that you could format a hard drive after its already been formated, so i went crazy, i guess i did this because i planned on having a lot of operating systems also so i could organize my files,

ronin1967

This is do'able now that I see things more clearly...

First thing you need to do is create a partition on Drive C: large enough for Windows ME and all the files and applications you want to associate with it(you realize you will have to have duplicates of all your software because ME has to be in FAT32 and won't work in NTFS, even if they were both in FAT32 you still couldn't use programs across them, ie...while in ME you couldn't go to the XP partition and run a program, of course if they were both in FAT32 you could share files). Once you have the partition created, and it should be the first partition on the drive C: then shut down, temporarily remove the Slave drive, boot to a boot disk and do a fresh install of ME on the new partition. After that is done shut down again, reconnect the slave drive and restart, if Window XP recognizes the ME it will open the boot screen and allow you to select the which OS to run. Choose XP, then from Control panel/System/Advanced tab/Start-up and Recovery make the necessary changes.

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

one last question, which is better Fat 32 or NTFS, i really don't know the difference, or why there is more than one type of format

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

HEY! I'm writing this message in windows ME, now all i have to do is get xp working!

OP
bluedude2288

bluedude2288

Hey, i thought you guys said windows me couldn't access NTFS hard drives, my windows me can

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
It certainly can remotely. I don't know about when they're in the same machine. Perhaps you can read to one, but you can't write to it. I think that's it. Try writing to NTFS from Me and tell me what happens.

Z